Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

College Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default College Car Care

Hey guys
Well anyone who has been around or ridden in my car always comments on how nice it is and they get obsessed with rubbing my car ever since i claybared, and kept up with wax / nufinish.

I'm finally off to college (UCI) and bringing my car with me. Sadly I think i can only park OUTSIDE by the dorms. So the interior and exterior are going to be hit with all the elements. For those with experience, is there anything i can do before i head on down there and perhaps do during my stay?

I had a friend who took his 4 runner down there and didnt wash it all year...
although he and his dad spent 4 hours cleaning it last weekend and it looks like new, i am not one that can do that to a car i spent so many hours taking care of.

All advice is welcome Thanks!

Old 09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: College Car Care

My advice to you is to find the nearest car wash and do your best to keep up with what you've been doing.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

yup. guess my first task there will be to find a carwash i like.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM

I park my car outside, and there is no getting around it. Your car will take a beating outside, you just have to keep up with cleanings and it will be fine. But it is a real pain in the ***.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

sigh i'll figure something out.
thx.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:36 AM

This maybe comin' from the wrong climate, but here at UAA (Alaska, Anchorage) I have to park outside year round for school. We salt the roads so rust is public enemy number one. I was it, wax it, etc. We have very little sun fading, but I have discovered with my last purchase that their is a reason that you have dash and car covers in the south. The dashboard is cracked from the heat and no Im trying to debate ripping it out and replacing it. I highly suggest a dash cover or something if you are looking at a hot local, cuz that dash is spendy and apears to be a pain to replace.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 PM

I went to school in IN, so salt was a big thing. Best thing I can recommend, is getting a rust preventative treatment like they offer at Zeibert/Tidy Car stores. You made a step in the right direction when you clay barred it. Now you will want to get a good coat of wax or high quality Sealer like the stuff from Zaino Brothers. A good application should last you through the semester with washings at a GOOD car wash (soft cloth, chamois dry, etc.----no brushes).

have fun in school. Rememebr, driving at school is a privelege, not a right.....
Ok.. taking off the "responsible adult" hat now.

d

Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 AM

what i do w/my car every four months is i ...

wash
dry
drive around
clay bar
gold class paste wax
dupont teflon

tommorow
dupont teflon
show car wax--

against captain planet- i suggest under coat ov dupont teflon... really not a bad product but does not seem to be the greatest either.... its good enough.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

well after 3 months things look like they're going to be ok. but i'm sure a year or two down the road having my car outside will be terrible for it, but this is the results after cleaning it up once again. I guess i'll be able to do a good cleaning every 3 months with reg carwashes inbetween.

Name:  P1000435.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  64.0 KB
Name:  P1000440.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  57.9 KB
Name:  P1000452.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  P1000446.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.7 KB
Name:  P1000465.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  64.5 KB
Name:  P1000474.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  P1000470.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  P1000468.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  76.1 KB

Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi ... am from the middle east & belive me is MELTING HOT here in summer ... I dont know how its in ur area in summer but what I suggest is ...
1-get a front & rear dash cover & Tint the glass with any of those heat reduction film i.e. 3M, Pentagon, or V-cool ...
2- Spry under the car with any protection under-seal.
3-There is this Matt wax that u can apply & leave it on till the end of the wk then u can was it at any service station on the wk-end .. it will help maintaining ur outer look

Quick Reply: College Car Care