Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Making the seats more comfortable

Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Default Making the seats more comfortable

Howdy all! We have a '12 Camry XLE (cloth seats). We are looking to have the front seats altered to add some more padding on the bottom, and possibly the back. I have the name of a company our dealer uses when someone wants heated seats added, and I am going to call them tomorrow.

My concern is that the seat fabric looks pretty tailored to the padding that is currently there, which makes me wonder if they can actually add any padding. I guess I'll find out their opinion when I go to see them.

I am wondering if any of you have had a similar modification performed on the seats. What was your experience? Is there anything I should look for, or ask about when I go see them? Our goal is to make the seats more comfortable for us as we both have lower back/tailbone issues. My wife recently purchased a Honda Pilot, so I have "inherited" the Camry, and I have found that the seats are a wee bit firm for my taste, for long rides. Heck, the ride really doesn't have to be that long.

I was also thinking about the possibility of a seat cover . . . like a sheepskin cover. However, I don't want to have something that moves every time that I move. Therefore, I am looking for a more "integrated" solution than say, just a cushion one might throw on top of the seat.

I look forward to your feedback!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Owners have complained. Some had more cushion material added, others gone with seat covers but no universal solution

One issue is if the seat has an airbag. Check the seat side for verbiage about SRS system, airbag, etc. You don't want to cover the air bag location with a seat cover unless it is designed to split or tear away if the airbag activates.

The site below has custom covers:
Toyota Camry Seat Covers

As more then one Camry owner has complained about hard seats, perhaps this and other seat cover vendors can advise on which product will work for you.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the link, Joey! I will actually cost me less to have the seat bottom tended to that it will for me to purchase the seat covers that I would buy otherwise. I talked to an upholsterer today and got a quote. If that doesn't quite get us to where we want to be, then I'll look at the seat covers you mentioned. I had looked at them before, but would love to hear from others who may have used these particular covers to see if they really add any cushioning.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Please post back with the results and cost of the seat bottom upgrade as others are complaining about the same issue.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bob-blehead
Thanks for the link, Joey! I will actually cost me less to have the seat bottom tended to that it will for me to purchase the seat covers that I would buy otherwise. I talked to an upholsterer today and got a quote. If that doesn't quite get us to where we want to be, then I'll look at the seat covers you mentioned. I had looked at them before, but would love to hear from others who may have used these particular covers to see if they really add any cushioning.
Soooo, what did it cost? I really need it.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:13 PM

Funny how life brings us around full circle at times. The '12 Camry I referenced above wound up being traded, so we never came to a conclusion. HOWEVER, I am in the process of purchasing a '14.5 Camry LE . . . hopefully taking delivery tomorrow night. Time will tell if the seats will cause the same problems we were experiencing with the '12 we owned. If so, I will seek an upholsterer in the area. We've recently moved, so I need to find someone local again. I will see who the dealer sends vehicles to for addition of such things.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your purchase.