Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 nav system map dvd issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
mba
Default 2007 nav system map dvd issue

The map dvd drive recently stopped working on my 2007 Camry hybrid. It wouldn't eject and it wouldn't recognize the disk. It also made a rattling sound every 15 seconds trying to access the dvd. The dealer was able to get the disk out but the rattling sound continued. And the disk wouldn't load. So I had a local car audio shop cut power to the dvd drive to stop the noise. But, when the unit was reconnected to the battery, it wouldn't start up without inserting the map dvd. So now even the radio doesn't work. The dvd not loading was the initial problem!

So is there any way to bypass the dvd load and get the system to start up with out the map dvd. I'd love to have at least the radio working again.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

First place to look is the owners manual. Doubt it as this would be a software and perhaps security issue.

Your best bet is to research firms that repair these types of items, then inquire if they can repair it. Yours is not the first unit that had a stuck disk to the discouragement of the car owner and given these NAV units are extremely expensive third party firms have started to repair them. Perhaps the audio shop knows of someone, Ebay lists a few services, see link below:

OEM TOYOTA GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEM REPAIR SERVICE | eBay

If you need to send the unit somewhere and not up to removing, have the audio shop do this.

A stuck DVD issue can seem simple to repair but can be very tedious. Dealers are not audio repair people and typically will only remove and replace these units with rebuilt or new.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 AM
mba

Thanks. I did see those repair places listed on eBay but have read mixed reviews about them. With the cost of repair, shipping, removal and replacement of the unit, I'm looking at close to $600 to repair it. Right now, I don't really care if the nav system works. I'd just love to have the radio and bluetooth phone functions back.

The owner's manual doesn't say anything about any way to bypass the load of the dvd to get the radio to at least work in the event that the dvd won't load. Sigh. What a stupid, stupid design flaw in the entire system.

If anyone has used any of those repair places and wouldn't mind sharing your experience, I would appreciate hearing about it. It will help me decide whether to spring for repair or just replace the whole system. If I replace, I'll likely have to do it without a nav component as I just can't and don't want to put that kind of money into it right now.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Do a site search for past posts on your problem at the Toyotanation.com. This unit was used in a number of models, if no luck post your issue in the Audio, Video and Security section.

If trying to save cash find the service info to remove the radio, if having the info this is a straight forward job.

Did the DVD player work after the stuck disk was removed, if so take the unit back to the shop that cut the wire and have them reconnect, then insert the disk.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Default Similar issue

I have an '09 Hybrid and the 12V battery drained over a weekend when a light was left on. When I got the car jumped, all was fine except the Navigation unit does not recognize the DVD, even though it is the same dvd that had been in prior to the battery draining. Now I can't get the audio unit to work. Did you have any success with your issue?
Thanks

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest going to the Toyotanation website where they have a dedicated Camry Hybrid and audio sections.

If you have the original DVD that came with the car, re-install this. Otherwise you may be able to go into the controls and find a diagnostic section.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM
mba
Unhappy

No, I never did get the issue resolved. I ended up having to remove the nav unit and I bought an aftermarket unit and had it installed. I was very disappointed that Toyota couldn't take care of it. My only recourse to get it fixed was to send it away and I read mixed reviews on the success of doing that. I just decided not to take the chance.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting a follow up, MBA. Sorry your nav crapped out.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Would be most frustrating to scrap an expensive unit due to inability to repair. As you note mba, repairs can be dubious. Many have complained thus for other posters an after market replacement may be best.