Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2008 Camry - Advice on replacing JBL system

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:12 AM
Default 2008 Camry - Advice on replacing JBL system

Hi all,

Here's my current setup:

2008 Camry Hybrid - Originally came with JBL + Navigation

1. Replaced head unit with Pioneer Avic-z120BT a few years ago and kept everything else

2. Added Directed Audio D800 amp (2 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan) and recently replaced my sub with a 10" Rockford Fosgate P3D2-10 Punch P3 DVC 2 Ohm (500 Watts RMS)

Problems:

1. Directed Audio amp is failing so no sub use right now (the unit powers on and shows green light but when the rca's from the head unit on the sub out are connected, it's not producing sound to the sub. I've ruled out the sub by connecting it to my home theater and it produced sound. I ruled out the head unit by plugging in a front speaker to the sub out and the speaker produced sound and I've ruled out the long rca cable from the sub out to the mono amp by replacing it with a new one.

2. Front speakers reduce in volume for a second or two a few times a minute and if I fade the speakers to the rears only, the fronts will produce sound for a second or two a few times a minute. And if I move the sound to just the rear right, the right front and rear speakers both produce sound 100% of time.

Goal: Replace all speakers, jbl amp and failing mono amp

Questions:

1. For less than $1000, can I replace the entire JBL system (speakers/amp) plus the sub amp and see a 100% night and day difference?

2. Should I get a 5 channel amp to run the new speakers and the current sub off of or get a 4 channel amp plus another mono amp?

3. If I should get a 4 channel amp, any thoughts on a mini amp versus a full size amp (such as the Clarion XC1410)?

4. I'd really appreciate if I could get answers to these questions and also total package recommendations including: exact speakers (size etc..)

I know computers but not car audio so I'd really appreciate the help. The music I listen to is mostly U2/Springsteen/The Killers.

Again, the key to keep in mind is a night and day difference otherwise it won't be worth while.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried to determine if the Directed Audio amp is going into a reduced power output mode as protection against overheating or other problems?

Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Have you tried to determine if the Directed Audio amp is going into a reduced power output mode as protection against overheating or other problems?
Hi,

I haven't specifically but the unit shows green status with purple light on top as it always has so nothing seems to be different.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure any ground wires are well connected.

And that the amp has ample 12V DC power, as in enough amps from the cars electrical circuit.

Suggest check DC power voltage and determine if it is dropping when the audio output drops.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Make sure any ground wires are well connected.

And that the amp has ample 12V DC power, as in enough amps from the cars electrical circuit.

Suggest check DC power voltage and determine if it is dropping when the audio output drops.
Hey just a quick reply, I did check the voltage from the battery to the amp (just in general) and it shows 30 volts, is that normal?