Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Anyone upgrade a 2011 hybrid w/JBL to a factory JBL nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Default Anyone upgrade a 2011 hybrid w/JBL to a factory JBL nav?

I have a 2011 hybrid with the JBL system so I have satellite radio, bluetooth, microphone, etc. already installed. I purchased a factory JBL navigation unit hoping to just swap them out and be ready to go. I can't find the extra connectors that the navigation unit (I assume) requires. I don't have connectors for 3 sockets. The sockets can be seen circled in this picture here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwn...it?usp=sharing

I am hoping someone has done this and can point me in the right direction.

TIA.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest posting at Toyotanation.com in appropriate section, Camry Hybrid or Audio. Others there have run into the same issue.

Search for the other cables, they can be wrapped in tape and hidden. If none, the wiring may be different. This requires plug adapters, cutting and splicing, etc.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM

OK, I just wanted to follow up on this to put closure on it so that years from now, someone asking this question can get a definitive answer. This is for a 2011 Camry Hybrid.

I was able to get the nav system installed and hooked up. Everything works except the satellite radio which is a separate component under the drivers seat which I don't have. I don't need it so that is no big deal to me. I only needed to run an ignition wire from the fuse panel and one for the parking brake from the drivers kick panel. Well, I also had to run 2 more wires for the CANH & CANL signal (the extra hybrid info they provide is awesome!!), but they were right behind the radio so that was no big deal. There are empty slots in the junction block so they are super easy. There was actually a speed signal wire (violet/purple) already in one of the connectors. It wasn't listed on any wiring diagram that I could find for the standard radio, but I verified that it was a speed wire and just took it out of the existing connector and plugged it into my radio. One less wire to run. I also installed a backup camera which works perfectly (not bad for $25). I did use a voltage booster for the camera BTW.

It is not too bad to do. I actually kept my old harnesses/connectors in tact and just made jumpers to go from the new radio to the existing vehicle harness/connector. That also makes it easier for removal as I just unplug my jumpers...or I can unplug the connectors, but a couple of them are VERY hard to get out with the jumpers I used plugged into them. I did order the 5-pin connector from Toyota, but really didn't have to have it as the connectors would plug in just fine. They are difficult to get on so I think the tension on them would be more than enough to keep them in place and from falling out. Other than me mixing up the camera wires (there is 4 hours of unnecessary troubleshooting down the drain), it went very smoothly and a nice upgrade.

Best regards,
-Keith

Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for following up and posting your results.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the installation process.

So, it is possible if the extra wires are run. Good to know.

Your post should be of great value to others wanting to do the same installation, thanks a lot!

Curious, is your field of expertise in electronics?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Thanks for posting back with the installation process.

So, it is possible if the extra wires are run. Good to know.

Your post should be of great value to others wanting to do the same installation, thanks a lot!

Curious, is your field of expertise in electronics?
No expertise. Mechanical Engineer by trade. I just like to figure stuff out and am a DIY guy. My largest foray into electronics is my Christmas display. While I don't design the electronics or the software, I build all the boards (many many hours of soldering) and elements in my display. Here is 2012's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUf6cOcPGI4

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Nice job on the display!

Curious as to your control systems?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, I'm impressed with those lights! Very nice!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 PM

hi...i think JBL P-1032 speaker is very amazing...JBL speaker is one of the best bluetooth speaker in the world... this speaker price i very excellent...best design and highest Sound Quality
i realy like this

Old 01-21-2020, 11:19 AM

@Truthunter how did that head unit turned out to be? Would you recommed it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the pioneer 2550. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This website is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Any tips?

Last edited by Dusty35; 01-22-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade a 2011 hybrid w/JBL to a factory JBL nav?