Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Camry XLE JBL In-dash changer vs. iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Default Camry XLE JBL In-dash changer vs. iPhone

Howdy Guys!

Just leased a 2011 XLE yesterday. As per usual, car and radio head unit manufacturers always design their audio systems with the assumption that, for whatever reason, they can design a better UI for navigating through song lists, etc., than the latest smartphone tech, i.e., Android, iOS, etc. Why they think poorly navigating through content on a head unit is safer than simply using the large touchscreen and included controls of the latest smart-phones and DAP's is completely beyond me, but so it goes. Just to clarify, when an ipod or iphone is plugged into the USB function of these systems, the iPod, or in the case of the iPhone the iPod controls are disabled on the device. Fortunately most aftermarket head units offer the option to simply "pass through" the audio/data and relinquish control to the device. Unfortunately, the limited documentation provided for the audio system of my new Camry omits any info on this matter.

Was wondering if anyone knows of a hack or workaround for this?

PS. MP3 and ACC audio is already borderline suck, so I don't like to compound it by running it though bluetooth. And the 1/8 line input with separate charging solution is just too cumbersome for a 2011 vehicle.

PSS. Sorry for long winded post!!