Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Only driver side front door produces sound 96 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Default Only driver side front door produces sound 96 Camry

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and didn't know the right spot to start this thread.

I very recently bought a 1996 Toyota Camry for 250$ because the engine produces a knock sound. That part I'll troubleshoot in another thread, but my main question, and it may seem stupid but it drives me crazy, only the driver side door speaker produces sound the head unit is factory and hasn't been removed until i did earlier today to check connections. I believe this car only has the two door speakers and the two rear speakers with no amp.

I checked all the connections at the speakers and the head unit and cannot for the life of me figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I know with the other issues with the car i shouldn't be concerned with something non-important like the stereo, but I cannot stand it.

Thanks in advance for any help, and i apologize if i posted this in the wrong area

Old 12-03-2016, 04:28 AM

i cant find the exact picture of one

did that radio have a left and right speaker cut out **** ..... or not

if a passenger door speaker is there
need to test it as a single ..could be blown or an earth issue

get a two strand length of wire to run to the working speakers wires to see if it makes any noise at all

or a continuity test lamp to the passenger speaker itself

Last edited by dirty hands; 12-03-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:19 PM

It does have the fade **** for the left right and i did mess around with it, i will run a wire from the left to the right today to see if that fixes it. Last night i did some research and decided to pull the rear seat out and then the whole back panel so i can trace all the wires to the rear speakers it just baffles me that only one speaker produces sound. i have determined that one of the rear 6x9's will have to be replaced, there is a giant whole in the speaker itself, but nothing that would stop it from working, just enough to hinder sound in a min I'll run out and take a bunch of pictures and put them up

Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Tested the passenger speaker and it was dead. in need of a speaker I actually took one out of a box in the house and it fit perfectly

now I just need to figure out why the rear speakers don't work. I know one has a whole in it, I've seen speakers in worse condition work, but now I'm not certain this one works. If one rear speaker quits working, will they both stop working?

Attached Thumbnails Only driver side front door produces sound 96 Camry-imag0855%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

The 4 speakers are independently wired to the radio speaker connections.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 PM

thank you for the picture

test both rear speakers the same way as that faulty passenger speaker

this site has the stereo and speaker wiring diagram for that 96 toyota

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/2041.html

Last edited by dirty hands; 12-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 PM

tested them both the same way I did the passenger, then I hooked up a house speaker to the back speaker wires and they produced sound

so ya back speakers are dead, I will work on replacing them within the next week

thanks everyone for all of your help!