Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Liquid Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Default Liquid Clay Bar

Turtle Wax ICE™ Liquid Clay Bar (16 oz.) from Wax Depot

Has anyone used this product? Any thoughts?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 AM

nope, it depends... who's the manufacturer?if it's trusted it should be good.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 PM

It's made by Turtle Wax. I asked my friend who used to work at a detailing shop about it, and he said it didn't do anything. For a budget clay bar, I went with the Mothers California Gold which I picked up from Autozone for around $20, not sure how it'll do as I haven't had time to use it yet, but being Mothers I'm assuming it will do a good job.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:36 AM

I've used Meguire's clay bar and Mother's clay bar. To be honest there isn't much difference between those two, but both of them are solid clay and not liquid.

I don't understand how a liquid clay bar would be as effective as the solid clay bar. You need the solidness to pick up the contaminants off the paint. If it was me I wouldn't bother with the liquid and get the solid type clay bar system. The solid bars are very effective. Just make sure you use lots of the detailer with it to keep it wet and don't drop the bar!

Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I don't understand how a liquid clay bar would be as effective as the solid clay bar. You need the solidness to pick up the contaminants off the paint. If it was me I wouldn't bother with the liquid and get the solid type clay bar system. The solid bars are very effective. Just make sure you use lots of the detailer with it to keep it wet and don't drop the bar!
Good advice here. Don't bother with a "liquid clay bar". Solid clay bars work well. They will pull a lot of crap out of the clear coat. Even on a brand new vehicle. I read about the worst thing that happens to paint on new cars, comes from brake dust from the railroad cars they're transported on. This is a very fine metallic dust that lands on the paint. Even on the newer enclosed car transporters. This stuff gets washed into the paint at the dealerships. There is no way a dealer will clay bar the new vehicles they sell.

So it's basically up to the new owner to either do it yourself, or pay a professional detailer to do it. But it really needs to be done. After you do a clay bar treatment, the first thing you will notice is how much easier the polish wipes off after it dries to a haze. You can actually feel how much smoother the paint is after a clay bar treatment. It takes time and effort, but it is time well spent.