DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

'00 Rear Window Won't Go Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Default '00 Rear Window Won't Go Up

I have a 2000 Camry LE and I love it. First Toyota I have ever owned and now I am a loyal Toyota owner. All my previous cars died at around 107,000 miles while this one is still going strong at 218,000.

This winter I had to roll my left rear window down. When I got ready to roll it back up it didn't move. It sounded like something was off the track. The motor works. I was able to manually pull the window up with much effort but it still drops about 1/2 inch. I need to know what might be the problem. I've been told it is the "window holder" and about $300 to fix. I don't have that kind of money so I need other options. Since it is rare that anyone rides in the backseat that window only gets rolled down when I need it for merging into traffic. So if I need to find a way to get it to stay up and not use it again I will have to go with that.

Any suggestions? I would like to be able to do whatever I can myself rather than taking it to the shop but I am a novice at car repair.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you can not fix the window might try making small rubber wedge or similar that can be jammed between the window and lower trim to hold the window all the way up.

If the window goes down using the switch but not up it may be gear on the motor has stripped.

The regulator is what moves the window up and down. You can buy a new complete window regulator including motor for under $40 on Ebay with free shipping. See link below:

97 01 Toyota Camry Window Regulator w Motor Rear LH Driver Side New | eBay

Replacing the part is not a difficult job but you will need info on how to take the door panel off.

You library may have service manual info for this car for checkout or photocopy.
search the internet for info. Youtube may have videos.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 AM

I know these cars are commen to window issues. The driver window on my 01 finally went out. We had it fixed for around $300.00. Motor and regulator. Now, the back drivers window works usually, but sometimes it glitches out and doesn't go up. Your issue sounds different but similiar. These windows tend to work for a few inches and stop and work again. Pull off the door panal and check the power sources and wath the mechanism work. I heard these window motors also work a little and overheat. So they stop for a while and work a little more. It's harder to roll up than down. Fix this soon because it only worsens with time. Hope I helped!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Same issue for mine. I got the old motor and gears out, bought replacements. There is a gear that acts as a hub for the sprocket that engages with the motor. The hub wore out, so the sprocket no longer engages with the motor. Toyo sells as a whole assembly with the scissor arms, etc. I am looking for installation instructions...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Default 2000 Camry window switch

It could be the contacts on the switch have gone bad in the up position on the window switch itself. I would check http://www.switchdoctor.net 30 day return policy and if it doesn't resolve the issue it can be returned.