DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

09 Camry LE working A/C, blowing hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Default 09 Camry LE working A/C, blowing hot

I am working on my son's 2009 Camry LE with manual HVAC controls, 4 cylinder / Auto. The car is 300 miles away from my garage, a retired ASE Master. His A/C suction line is frosty cold and high pressure line is extra warm indicating a properly working A/C system. Fans work, compressor is engaged and cycles off and on as normal. I got him to replace the 80k OEM cabin filter and now has good air flow. Problem, blowing hot at idle around 50 degrees at center vents. Holding engine speed at 2000 RPMs' now has 80-90 degrees over 5 minutes. To me, the hot water is flowing thru the heater core when should be off, or if they use a air flow door, the cable came off / something broke and cold A/C air is being re-directed thru the heater core. I have worked on imports at 3 dealerships and a few independent shops. I am not sure what this model uses after looking for general heating and A/C parts on-line at parts stores. Cable popped off blend door? Hot water control valve stuck open due to lack of control?
If someone has an explanation of the design for heater control and perhaps common issues, will help me greatly...to help him. I have seen ink pens, drinking straws, fractured plastic cable ends and even a toy super hero lodge inside air distribution boxes blocking a blend door's movement...all causing same problems. Thanks to all that respond.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

The air mix servo is on the upper drivers side of the center A/C unit. Operate the control and determine if the servo arm is moving. The servo can be removed to move the door manually.

Not sure if there is hot water control valve, check under the hood at the heater core hoses coming away from the firewall.

Failed servo motors are common.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Default Will have to look

Thanks for the reply. All of the online parts stores show two actuators only for this 2009 Camry. One is the "Temperature Door" actuator for XLE Models, build in the USA for $88. The other is the "Mode Door" actuator for Base, LE, SE models build in the USA for $112. I have yet to find anything for a hot water control valve
I will have to find the same vehicle in the salvage yard or on a used car lot and look for myself. My guess or fear, is the actuator / servo for "Temperature Door" for XLE is for vehicles with "Climate Control" only where my sons' car is manual. Either way, you have to by-pass air around the heater core with A/C on and working using a door or shut-off the hot coolant passing thru the heater core with a valve either manual cable or vacuum.

If the car was in the driveway, I could find out in 10 minutes.
Any additional help with the heater / air conditioning system on a "Base" or "LE" 09 Camry will be appreciated. Thanks again