DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1999 Camry Driver's Side Window Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Default 1999 Camry Driver's Side Window Not Working

My driver's side-front window just stopped working today after I rolled it down. The window button has been flaking out on me recently and I knew it was only a matter of time before it broke off. Well now it's come off and I have no means of rolling up my window. I've taken off the control panel on that door (the part that contains the door locks, windows, etc.) not the door-panel itself, but I can't figure out the mechanism works in order for me to manually do what the button does. I don't think it is a problem with the motor, but I could be wrong. Can anyone please offer help/suggestions/anything before soon. It's probably gonna start raining soon and I'd like to fix it before that.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:08 AM

Usually on power windows the power window regulator is responsible for moving the window up and down ,

Things you can do

Clean external area around the windows and its track
Lubricate the rubber window track with a high quality silicone grease [sil glyde or 3m brake grease]
Check the continuity on the switch for that window using a dmm (disconnect wiring from battery), if bad replace switch assy
Check for voltage at the motor , see if motor moves a bit when pressing the switch (checking for bad brushes or burnt motor)
Then open up interior panel (pain in the but) , and lubricate the nylon slides (when these wear the window becomes really hard to move and causes torque bind since the unit is sliding but rather moving off axis to its track due to wear)
If lubrication doesn't work , replace the regulator unit with a new one, lubricate slides with NON petroleum grease aka silicone or a PTFE lube (plastic safe, lithium grease has petroleum distillates which will slowly degrade plastic)

You can hold down the switch to close, open the door and then slam it shut whilst holding the switch simultaneously, this may budge the window to move , try lubricate the channels for maximum success rate