DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2.2 swap out for new long block

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Default 2.2 swap out for new long block

1995 Camry. 2.2 Auto
Couple of quick time savings questions.
First and most important. I have never seen a wiring harnes so imbedding into a motor? Is it best practice to pull intake a fuel system off before pulling a motor? Is there a trick I am missing?
Second. This car is an auto. I was planning on pulling the trany at the same time? Any big tips or gotchas on that?
Worse CV Joints I have ever pulled!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Look on the radiator side of the head for two sling attach hooks (if there).

You should be able to remove the engine complete if you attach a sling to the left and right side of the head (radiator side). The sling should be able to tilt the trans down and passenger side of engine up to clear the chassis.

No big gotchas. Do all the work on the replacement engine first such as timing belt if required. Check integrity of freeze plugs in case they have corroded to the point of almost leaking (has happened). Make sure you fully seat the torque converter onto both the trans input shaft and oil pump shaft before bolting together else the converter will damage the pump.

There were both California and federal emissions engines. Make sure the replacement engine is the same. A sticker under the hood has the emissions info. If not the same change required parts.