DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2011 Toyota Camry Rear Wheel Hub & Bearing Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Default 2011 Toyota Camry Rear Wheel Hub & Bearing Assembly

Hi everyone!

I am brand new Toyota user and would like to ask for some help please. I am trying to replace the rear wheel hub and bearing assembly but I encounter a problem.

Here is a picture of the part itself:
View image: IMG 1087

And this is the one on my car:
View image: IMG 1083

As you can see I removed all 4 bolts that are holding the hub and bearing assembly but it wont separate from the housing(I am not sure what is that part called).
Someone have an Idea how to separate it?
I already tried hammering the back side of it. I also tried with a flat screwdriver and hammer to force the splitting that didn't help either.
Thank you all!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Is there any access from the other side?
You could also try heating it up with torch.
It also might be worth it remove the entire assembly and bring it to a shop,
might cost you $20 for them to pop it out.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Yes there is access from the other side. The whole thing(the housing and the assembly) falls off the car and the only thing that is still attached to it is the emergency brake cord(bottom left corner of the picture). I am not sure how to detach that cord since it looks like there are some kind of pins wired up to the housing? If heating it up with torch wouldn't it damage some components?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

The external surfaces of flange on the old hub may be rusted and frozen to the hole in axle carrier.

The new part also contains a wheel speed sensor thus damaging the old sensor is not a concern. There are no other electronics in this area.

If all bolts are removed from the axle hub might hit the outer edge of the hub with a LARGE hammer to break it free from the carrier. Place a section of wood between the hub and hammer blow to prevent damage.

If you use a torch, you may need a welding/cutting/heater torch to get enough heat. A small propane torch may not produce enough. Heat the circumference of the hole in the carrier.

Can also try applying penetrating fluid around the flange area overtime and then let it work overnight.

For the parking brake cable. Look behind the flange for two bolts close together on the backing plate near the cable. Remove bolts to separate cable from backing plate, then remove end of cable from emergency brake system.

Or follow cable to the point it meets the opposite side cable, then unhook from the bracket the connects the two brake cables to the single cable going to the E-brake handle.