DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2015 Camry XSE not prewired for Homelink?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 AM
Default 2015 Camry XSE not prewired for Homelink?

Traded in my 2012 Camry SE for a new 2015 Camry XSE.

Before trading in the 2012, I removed the Homelink mirror that I had purchased and installed myself in only 10 minutes back in 2012. Even though the 2012 didn't have the "convenience package" that includes the mirror, it was prewired for it so installation was a snap!

I assumed that because the 2012 and 2015 models are both available with the same "convenience package" that includes the same exact mirror, that the 2015 would be prewired for it as well.

Well......my anticipated 10 minute install went to hell....

Although the mirror attaches to the windshield with the same clamp, the wire for the homelink mirror was not to be found upon removal of the overhead console. WTF???? My 2012 had a power moonroof and my 2015 does not....maybe that is the difference for the factory wiring harness to not have the mirror connection, but that's only a guess.

The overhead console has a wire harness with wiring for the map lights and phone microphone. I assume I can tap into a power and ground for the mirror there by splicing in, but I do not know yet which wire supplies switched power when the ignition is on. Does anyone have this information?

I will research further to see if the mirror harness might just be buried deeper in the headliner, or if not, which wires in the console harness to splice into.

Has anyone else tried to install a dimming mirror with homelink in their non-convenience package equipped 2015?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Did both cars have the same engine, V6 or 4 cylinder?

Toyota states auto dimming mirror for V6 only.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Both cars have the same 4 cylinder engine. My 2015 does not have the power moonroof like the 2012 had. I also found out just last night when looking for a power source that my 2015 doesn't have lighted vanity mirrors either. I'm thinking the lack of these electronics indicates that the wiring harness is just not the same for all models. The "convenience package" which includes the homelink mirror is available with the 4 cylinder engine, so I just assumed it would be prewired like the 2012. What's that saying about assuming....

I gained a lot of neat stuff like heated seats, dual automatic climate control, backup camera and a better looking instrument cluster and audio display. However, the fact that an XSE doesn't come standard with lighted vanity mirrors has me wondering what other compromises I'm going to discover. I might just end up running a switched power wire and ground wire up the A pillar to the overhead console if I can't find out which wires supply switched power on the map light harness. I couldn't get my test light to help me last night so I just gave up.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Might be better off running a separate wire.

Map light power might be on same circuit as Dome/Room light. Circuit always has power.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 PM

I did successfully tap into the power and ground on the connector that plugs into the overhead console that has the map lights. Although the circuit is powered even with the ignition off, the ECU shuts off power to the circuit 20 minutes after closing the last door so the mirror shuts off and will not drain the car battery. This might not be a solution for someone that parks their car outside of their house because power to the homelink is supplied as soon as a door is opened as opposed to when the ignition is on. This could be a security risk if a criminal could easily open your garage from your broken into car, but no more of a risk than having a garage door opener clipped to your visor. Personally, my car is garaged every night, which is why I really wanted the homelink to work in my new car.

If anyone else finds themselves in this situation, the 20 pin connector that clips into the overhead console has only 6 wires when you don't have the sunroof. Pin #1 with the white wire that has a black stripe is the ground. Pin #9 that has a solid yellow wire is the 12V+ constant. Your homelink mirror has only 2 wires. Black is ground. Black with the red stripe is 12V+. I simply supplied about 10" of new wire to use as a jumpers and connected wire taps on each end of the jumper to the appropriate ground and 12V+ power wires. If I need to remove the mirror and install it in a future car that is prewired, I still have the connector attached to the mirror wires.

The mirror draws very little current so it will not overload the light circuit even when both lights are on. I think this solution is much easier than running separate wires up the A pillar so you don't have to mess with air bags and covers not going back on correctly, etc.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Great job. Thanks for posting the information.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:03 AM

I know this is an old thread but hope you're still active. I copied your wiring instructions for the homelink mirror but wondered, does this power the homelink only when the dome lights are on? I want to use the homelink to access a gate a half mile from my home.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-27-2020, 02:19 PM

The circuit is powered at all times even with the ignition off until the ECU shuts power off to the circuit about 20 minutes after the last door is closed. The power is restored as soon as a door is opened. The map lights or dome lights do not need to be on. If you garage your car this should not be a problem, but if someone broke into your car in the driveway, they would be able to open your garage, too..