DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

84 Camry Brake Lights won't come on....

Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Default 84 Camry Brake Lights won't come on....

84 Camry Brake Lights won't come on....
Hello to all,
1st off thanks to all who helped me on here in the past. I ended up purchasing the 84 Camry I had previously mentioned on here I might get happy with car and motor. The problem I am having is no brake lights at all. They were working fine when I got the car now I got nothing. So no brake/taillights come on in the back when I turn headlights on and they don't work/come on when I hit the brake pedal. Everything else (all other lights in back) work fine. So again got no brake or taillights in the back at all. Can someone please advise me on what causes this and what it might be as I am drawing a blank here.....
What I have tried so far.... I check the bulbs its not that, and I checked all the fuses its not that. There must be someone on here who has had a similar problem I hope please advise me thanks.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

No brake AND no tail lights?

Does the license plate lamp or front parking/running lights work?

If just no brake lights only check the brake switch located under the dash at the top of the brake peddle arm. Make sure the switch is working correctly.

If the license plate and front running likes work and both tail and brake lights don't work obtain a volt/ohm meter.

Use a voltmeter to check for DC voltage at the bulb socket. Make sure the bulb is actually getting power.

Use the ohm meter to check the ground wire connection of the socket.

If not power to the lights check wiring, following the wiring back to a small box on the drivers side of the trunk. This is a sensor that detects if a tail or brake light is bad. The sensor can fail. Check for power at the green wire at the box for tail lights and green/white wire for brake lights.

This site has numerous post on this sensor, suggest reviewing them.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Hello Joey,
Yes you are correct everything is working in the car except the taillights that light up when you turn on the headlights and except the brake lights when you press the brake pedal. So that would tell me there is no power getting to the brake lights not sure why though. I will look for the relay in the back it has a hatch back not trunk. The car also was just bought and only has 63k originally miles on it.... It sucks because I just bought it and have had no problems with car other than this. Now I can't drive it don't know what the problem is and can't obtain a wiring diagram. The Haynes manual does not have a good diagram for this year car not sure why.
Dave

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM

maybe there's a problem in the wiring... check if wiring are connected accordingly.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Problem is in the relay something bad forums concur....
2 options
1 bypass relay which they tell you how to do or....
#2 my way...... Run a new ground wire to each tail light socket to some metal on the car. Basically make a ground for each tail light problem solved MY WAY...
DAVE

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

You can bypass the box wiring or find a used one at a salvage yard.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Hello there,
I did mention the bypass option above or you could keep it simple and do it my way which is easier to me. THe salvage yards do'nt have that car and if they do it has been tore apart. I did sign up for a online inventory salvage yard and when that car comes in I will go to that yard. Small chance though as I searched several states near me and nobody has that car.