DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

98 Camry Air bag Indicator light..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Default 98 Camry Air bag Indicator light..

Hello
I have a 98 camry and my airbag indicator light has been on for abt a year now..once in a while it turns off but it comes back
1) i asked a mechanic abt it and he said that the airbag sensor was bad (he claimed to have checked the code....but he has a very bad reputation..) hence i am not sure if that is true?
2) is there a way of checking this out? will autozone or autoadvance check this for me? is there a way i can fix this myself assuming it is a loose contact or a bad sensor.
Please advise.
Cheers
CV

Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Not all code readers can output airbag codes in addition to engine/trans computer codes. Check with auto store to determine if their code readers output airbag codes.

These types of readers are available on aftermarket thus do not need a dealer unit.

Most airbag sensors are one shot. If tripped they need replacing, they don't reset. If any sensor is tripped the airbag light will come on.

Might be ??? the airbag cable in the steering wheel bag. The steering wheel action on the cable causing a bad connection. Or if the car has airbags in the seat or a passenger seat occupancy detector could be this wiring.

If you can get the code(s) read plus what the code numbers mean, you should have a decent shot at fixing the problem. Find some technical info on the system before working on it.

Note: If the system is working (light off) it is still armed for 90 seconds after the battery is disconnected.