DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

A140 transmission repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM

i just rebuild the engine on my carmy 5sfe. and now the tranny leaks a LOT from the bellhousing, so either oil pump or converter. i think ill keep the engine and send the rest to the junk. buy a standard tranny car. this really sucks, so much work for nothin, im out of patience on this car.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Very understandable wanting to get rid of the car at this time.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 AM

At least i'll have an entirely new and slightly modified 5sfe engine for my celica. since i port and polished the engine head, should be very nice... still sucks, i liked the camry, when the weather wasnt good to put the roof down on the celica, the camry was a great car.
i guess my wife will have to get a new car now, i tried my best... bye bye camry, r.i.p

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Before putting the engine in the Celica might think about removing the balance shafts. The Celica did not have these shafts to allow a degree of extra performance.

You will need to plug the oil hole for the shafts.

There are various post on the internet about doing this.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 AM

the engine i put in the camry is a spare celica engine i had.so there are no balance shafts. i also port and polished the engine head. so performance in the camry should have been interesting.
I might remove the tranny and see whats goin on, i really lost patience on the camry, but another car means problems to fix again so... ah damn it. ill see what ill do tonight.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes when things are going not right it's best to take a break then hit the problem again when ones enthusiasm has returned.

Might check the trans input shaft seal which can get out place during installation, see shop manual for details.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM

the problem right now is that its like -25 C. So my garage is warm, the floor floor is very cold. Do you know if i can just remove the tranny without the engine from the top ? its seems like it would work and be a lot easier, at least i wouldnt have to freeze my *** on a cold cement floor as much.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

-25C! You have my sympathies.

There may not be enough lateral room to pull the trans off and out with the engine still in the car as never heard about this being done.

You can pull both engine and trans out from the top.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 AM

yeah but then have disconnect and reconnect the wire harness and all hoses. and that's a real pain in the frozen *** ill try it, if it doesn't work ill just lower it to the cold floor and pull it out. sure hope it works.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 AM

it didnt work. i had to pull the whole engine out again and remove the tranny. i put one from the junkyard. it worked perfect for a week and now nothin works all of a sudden. car doesnt move and speedometer goes up? so screw it, its goin to the recycler. and ill keep the engine for my celica.
Last time i touch an automatic tranny, ill stick to the stickshift... so much simpler and forgiving.

Quick Reply: A140 transmission repair