DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

both door handles broken on same door, how to open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Default both door handles broken on same door, how to open!!!!

My 17 year old daughter has 1996 toyota camry xle on which both inner & outer door handles have broken on the pass. side door. had I been told when one broke,all would be OK. Now I have no way to remove the door panel, as door is closed & I can't open it to remove panel & make repairs ! If anyone out there has any suggestions, other than cutting an access hole in the door panel, I would be interested to hear them. Fireman friend offered up the "Jaws of Life", but can't afford a new car just now. Thanks, stormy76

Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by stormy76
My 17 year old daughter has 1996 toyota camry xle on which both inner & outer door handles have broken on the pass. side door. had I been told when one broke,all would be OK. Now I have no way to remove the door panel, as door is closed & I can't open it to remove panel & make repairs ! If anyone out there has any suggestions, other than cutting an access hole in the door panel, I would be interested to hear them. Fireman friend offered up the "Jaws of Life", but can't afford a new car just now. Thanks, stormy76
my best thoughts here would be to remove as much as possible inside that you can.... (for instance the door arm rest) then just sacrifice the inner door panel, and rip it. you should be able to get a good used inner door panel at a junk yard, or buy new.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 AM

Not sure if you'll be able to see it or not, but there should be some sort of linkage behind the handle, probably more visible on the inside, if you can reach it, figure out which way it needs to go, and push/pull.