DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Camry 5SFE Timing Belt, Water Pump, Oil Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Default scott tolle

I was wondering what it would cost for a new timing belt, waterpump,oil pump seal for an 1996 toyota camry 2.2l

Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Smile

Scott: If you are doing it yourself, I would think around $150-$175 in parts for a new TB, Aisin Waterpump w/housing, camshaft oil seal, crankshaft oil seal, oil pump oil ring and oil pump seal. While in there, I would change out the thermostat also (around $15-20 for a Toyota brand) and the the Alternator belt and AC/Power Steering belt. If you have someone do it, I would think somewhere around $800-$1,000, depending on where you live. My two cents.

Dave

Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Default Replacement Cost

Labor Hours
Timing Belt Replacement 3.0
Water Pump .5
Oil Seal (Each) .5
Total Labor Hours 4.0 x Labor Rate = ????

Parts
Timing Belt $15 - $30
Idler Pulleys $30 - $50
Seals (each) $10
Water Pump $30 - $50

Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Default Crank shaft bolt

What is the best method to remove the crankshaft bolt and tighten it.
I have an auto so holding the pulley to use a breaker bar is difficult, not much room to hold it.
Is using a 50 ft/lb air wrench going to damage the bolt and would it remove it.
I have seen a u tube video using a small wrench are they a bitch to undo?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Most shops use an air wrench to install and remove the bolt.

It is possible to nstall a large breaker bar and wedge one end against the frame or floor. Then disconnect the engines ign system (to prevent starting) and bump the starter to break the bolt loose. This sounds strange but does work.

The Toyota official method is to bolt a special tool to the pulley using the two threaded holes on the face. This tool has a handle that can be held or wedged to the frame or floor and a hole in the center to allow socket access. The tool holds the pulley still while the breaker bar is moved.

You can make your own tool out of a length of wood having a holes for the socket and bolts. Have the wood wide enough to be able to bolt to the face of the pulley and long enough to bind up with frame or floor when the pulley rotates.

Bolt torque depends on engine model but is around 80 ft-lbs.

When removing the pulley use a bolt-on puller only not a claw type. A claw type can pull the outer pulley ring off the inner one.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Default Getting off the Crankshaft Pully Bolt

You can also get yourself a hand impact driver on Amazon for around $20 made by Lisle. You smack the driver with a heavy weighted hammer which then transfers the impact energy into twisting energy ... just like a air impact driver.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Default Crank shaft bolt

Thanks for the speedy replies.
The Toyota method sounds good to me, even though it will be extra work to make the tools required, the rattle gun may be ok to remove it but doing it up is guess work and it could break.
I have had a ford harmonic balancer outer drift off the hub and throw belts off, so good advice about the puller.
First time I have worked on a front drive car, not as bad as I thought it would be, nice motor the 5SFE
thanks again for your help.
Cutarug

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Generally, If I have to replace the timing belt for any reason, I change the waterpump. It just isn't worth tearing it all apart and gambling on re-using the old pump. And vice-versa.
As for the pulley-bolt removal, I've had difficulty sometimes using an electric impact-gun, but a breaker-bar on the bolt braced against some part of the frame or pavement, then bumping the starter, has always worked. My electric gun works just fine to re-install.
Recently had my pulley-balancer assy separate at the rubber. Hope the aftermarket replacement holds up for awhile.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 11-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by hardlymoving
...I decided to created my own 'How To' website showing what's involved in replacing the timing belt on the 4 cylinder 5SFE Engine along with the water pump and oil seals.
Thanks so much for documenting and sharing this. I recently used the version on hubpages as the primary DIY and a couple other DIYs as reference. I definitely found it quite helpful, but just a bit confusing to me in a couple spots, but I chalk that up to be being quite a newbie on jobs like this and I think that I didn't have sufficient background knowledge to interpret things properly. Someone else's DIY helped fill those small gaps of mine.

...When you get to the mark on the old belt, apply paint to the new belt. There is no way you can screw up on the installation...
I did, but that's because I misinterpreted the instructions.

...If the belt seems a little tight slipping it on the camshaft, move the camshaft a hair to the right with a box wrench attached to the camshaft pulley bolt. Once on, remove the slack...
I found this tip very helpful. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dave1811
...Regarding the Cam seal replacement, he replaces the new cam seal by putting in the new cam seal first, reverse the old cam seal against the new one, reverse the cam sprocket and use the bolt to tighten the cam sprocket down thus seating the new seal. Then take the cam sprocket back off, turn it around and presto, seated seal!
I did this and found it a very useful tip. Thanks.

You can make your own gasket by using the round rubber gasket (looks like a rubber hose) used for securing the aluminum screens in windows...
I didn't buy a replacement gasket and the one that was in there was shot and I further damaged it during extraction of the timing covers. Not fun getting those out. Anyway, when I reassembled it, I just flat-out didn't install one at all. What's the most likely ramification of that decision?

Originally Posted by toyomoho
...It is possible to nstall a large breaker bar and wedge one end against the frame or floor. Then disconnect the engines ign system (to prevent starting) and bump the starter to break the bolt loose. This sounds strange but does work...
I used this method and it worked beautifully on the very first attempt! Thanks.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
...You can make your own tool out of a length of wood having a holes for the socket and bolts. Have the wood wide enough to be able to bolt to the face of the pulley and long enough to bind up with frame or floor when the pulley rotates...
I made this...twice! The first one broke under 60+ ft.lb. torque due to being the wrong type of wood (some cheap pressed wood that was part of an old toddler bed). The second one (of pressure treated lumber) worked like a charm.

Last edited by diver1972; 01-07-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Default Simplified Camry oil pump o-ring seal replacement

You can do the oil pump gasket without taking off the top half of the timing belt cover or disturbing the timing of the camshaft. You need to take off the alternator belt by loosening the alternator adjusting bolt and swinging it down but if the adjuster screw is frozen just take out the through bolt and leave the adjuster setting alone. Loosen the power steering adjustment screw and pull down on the belt to swing the pump down to remove the belt. Remove the harmonic balancer using a strap wrench or pulley belt wrench to hold the crankshaft from turning. The balancer should come right off the crankshaft. Remove the three bolts from the lower timing belt cover and the 10mm bolt below the alternator that goes through both the top and bottom timing belt covers. You can then remove the lower timing belt cover by prying and wiggling it free but some of the retaining sleeves may be rusted and need a little wd40 and jostling to get the cover free. Mark the position of the timing belt with respect to the crankshaft using whiteout or paint but remove the guide washer first from the crankshaft. You can then remove the lower idler/guide pulley and slide the timing belt off of the oil pump and swing it towards the front of the car and out of the way of the oil pump. Remove the seven 10mm bolts securing the oil pump cover and remember the locations of the two shorter bolts for proper reinstallation. Carefully use a screwdriver to free the oil pump cover from the oil pump body and remover all of the old o-ring gasket. You can change the oil pump seal at your workbench but I didn't change mine because the nut on the oil pump shaft is on pretty tight and I didn't want to chance mangling the belt sprocket using a vise to hold it from turning. Chances are that the o-ring is the real culprit of your major oil leak. When reinstalling the o-ring gasket I used some quality rtv silicone lightly rubbed on the o-ring to hold it in the proper channel on the oil pump body when putting the oil pump cover back on. Do not overtighten the 10mm bolts on the oil pump housing so you don't crack the aluminum oil pump cover or the housing. Reinstall the timing belt on the crankshaft and the oil pump and then replace the idler pulley and check that your timing belt marks match up. Replacing the lower timing belt cover is a little challenging but can be done with patience. The top of the lower cover slides in under the bottom edge of the top timing belt cover and you can see if you have the proper positioning by looking down from above in the engine compartment. Use a long screwdriver or tire iron to lever the power steering pump back into position with the belt installed and also get the alternator back into position using a temporary bolt threaded into the alternator from the left side and a long screwdriver as a lever to get the proper positioning for the adjuster through bolt to be reinstalled. I hope this helps with your project.

Quick Reply: Camry 5SFE Timing Belt, Water Pump, Oil Seal Replacement