DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry Check Engine Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM
RAD
Default Camry Check Engine Light Flashing

Hi, I have a 1999 4 cyl Toyota Camry with 255,000 miles and the check engine light flashes then it stops, then it flashes again, then it stops. The car also won't go much past 60 mph before it starts rumbling and acting like it is going to stop. When I stop at a light, it feels like it also wants to stop. What can this be? I checked and tried to clean the air intake but that didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any other ideas why this might be happening? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

If the light is flashing have someone check the cars ODBII system for troublecodes. Knowing the codes will allow easier troubleshooting.

Check with chain autoparts stores as some will do this for free.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Now if the light is comming on (or stays on) or FLASHES (to get your attention) when the engine is running or you are driving. Then you DO have a problem.SO if the the bulb works and when the engine is running the light is off...that is the normal opperation of the system.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM

when the light blinks this probably means you have a cylinder misfire. I would check the spark plugs and their wires. heck, change them all and that should do the trick

Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Default massive misfire

anytime the check eng. light flashes at you you have what's called a catalyst damaging misfire. you need to get it taken care of asap!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Cool

Toyota Camry là hình mẫu mà bất cứ nhà sản xuất nào phải mơ ước. Bởi không một chiếc xe bình dân nào lại từng được "nâng cấp" thành hạng sang, sánh sang BMW serie 3 hay Mercedes C-class như Camry

Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Default 1997 4 cyl Camry sputtering, engine light flashing?

My '97 Camry has 110K miles, has been very well maintained since I bought it new. But recently my engine light came on and it started 'missing'. I took it to Advance Auto and they put the analyzer thing on it and it indicated a problem in the #2 cylinder, which the guy said could be either a spark plug or plug wire issue. I had just replaced the plugs and wires approx. 20,000 miles earlier. Someone else told me it could possibly be a control module, 'power pack', or computer related issue? And one more thing popped up just yesterday. I had my A/C on and my Check Engine light started flashing. I turned off the A/C and it stopped flashing. Also my windshield washer fluid warning light goes on and off for some reason. Could all these problems be related to a bad computer module controller thing? It is missing pretty bad, and has no power when first starting out, but once it gets going it seems to smooth out. Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start? I can't afford to put it in the shop as all these problems will likely run into big bucks. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Has the timing belt been replaced on this car?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Has the timing belt been replaced on this car?
Yes, I replaced the timing belt at about 70,000 miles. For the most part this car has been trouble free, although I have done routine maintenance like oil changes, replacing the struts, tune ups, cleaned the injectors, replace filters, etc. It does have a valve seal issue, as it smokes when I start it in the morning. I haven't gotten around to having this fixed. Another issue I failed to mention is that when I had the A/C on and the Check Engine light was flashing, the little light indicator on the A/C button was not on. This has never happened before. This is why I am inclined to think it is something electrical, or in the power pack or computer module, whatever it is called.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Could you get the exact trouble code?

Quick Reply: Camry Check Engine Light Flashing