DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

car alarm installation

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 AM
Default car alarm installation

I am looking to install a car alarm on my 2007 Camry, because the loan is just paid off and i am planning to get rid of the comprehensive insurance. I searched and found this car alarm which seemed to be a good deal:
Car Alarm System w/ 2 Way LCD Pagers Remote Engine Start [CA908A] $69.00 Gold Duo - High Quality @ Low Price comparing to the cost of comprehensive insurance anyway.

I read the description and it says the item requires a professional installation. I email the company and they said it comes with a manual and diagram. I wonder how difficult it is to install it myself. I suspect professional installation probably costs as much as the alarm price itself? I wonder if there is some kind of basic knowledge required to understand the diagram? any special tools are needed? how much time will it take, etc?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Suspect professional installation is listed to steer individuals who are not confident about doing the job towards a professional. Professional installation would also reduce the manufacturers customers support needs (assuming they have one) as there would be less installation problems.

This stated, owners can typically install these systems themselves.

There are website were the manual can be downloaded.

Download Installation Manuals, Owners Manuals, Tech Tips, Diagrams and More! - Page 23

NOTICE

Download the manual then review the instructions to determine if you are comfortable with doing the job.

The manufacturer has a website with contact info, they may or may not have direct product customer support.

Performance Teknique - An American Ingenuity

As to installation time. If the first time for these things suggest setting aside a weekend. The manual would list the tools needed, typical item such as screwdrivers to take covers off, etc.

One other suggestion as you will not have comp insurance is to install a fuel pump cut off switch. The switch cuts electrical power to the pump and is installed in a non-obvious location. With the switch off the engine will not start or die after a short period of time.

If someone is attempting to steal you car they might be able to work around the alarm as alarms are common, a cut off switch may be unexpected and take a lot more time to disable.