DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

A couple of questions from a new Camry owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Default A couple of questions from a new Camry owner

I just traded on Saturday for an '01 Camry. I have an amp and sub from the truck, and would like to hook it up. One of those,"If I have it why not use it?" type things. I am trying to make it look as "professional" as I can, so that leads me to my questions.

I wire my amp with a switch for the remote cable, somewhere within reach of the driver (me of course). Just a personal preference, as it allows me more control. I noticed on the dash next to the dimmer switch that there are two "slots" that are not used, so I looked in the manual. One of them was labeled in the manual as "traction control switch" Makes sense, because I do not have it. All of my traction control is done with the clutch, as it is a standard shift. I was wondering if it is advisable to take the dash off, cut out that slot, and put a switch there? Has anyone tried this, or know how hard it is to take the dash apart?

I also know that I will have to take the dash apart to remove the stock stero. It works fine, but I highly doubt that it has the remote wire or the L/R audio hookups for my amp. On my last vehicle I bought the plate to fill the gap between the aftermarket stereo and the dash, and I would assume that the same would be available for this, however...my problem solving mind stopped me from making it simple (lol). I could fit two aftermarket stereos in the space that the stock stereo takes, so I was wondering if anyone knows of one that has a "cubbyhole" that could go above or below the aftermarket radio (preferably above to keep the stereo as far from the gearshift as possible). I do not have much cubby space, so would like to take this chance to create some. I will do some looking, but I figure I am already here..soooo...yeah.

Thanks for reading this, for those who make it to here. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Where is this traction switch?

The left lower finish panel under the steering console and having the ash tray comes off. And the remote control switch for the mirror comes out.

What radio does the car have now. Is it single or double height?

The radio space is double height and as you state it can hold two radios. Toyota offered a taller radio that included a CD player, tape, etc that filled both spaces. If the standard radio was installed only the top space was filled. A small glove box bolted to the bottom of this radio to fill up the lower space.

If you have a radio the fits the space you should be able to adapt the lower glove box to fill the lower space.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Where is this traction switch?
On the left side of the dash. There is the power mirror control, instrument panel dimmer switch (****), and two slots that are clearly for other switches. The owners manual shows that one is for traction control, which I do not have.

The left lower finish panel under the steering console and having the ash tray comes off. And the remote control switch for the mirror comes out.
So the whole "bottom" of the dash comes out so I can get to the dimmer switch and mirror adjustments controls? I need to look at everything closer, I am sure I can figure it out but hoping to save from tearing something up. The radio will come out at the same time that I instal the switch, so if it all comes out as one unit..awesome.

What radio does the car have now. Is it single or double height?
Not sure I get your reference to single or double height. It is about as high as two after market radio's stacked on top of one another. It is This

Here is another

The radio space is double height and as you state it can hold two radios. Toyota offered a taller radio that included a CD player, tape, etc that filled both spaces. If the standard radio was installed only the top space was filled. A small glove box bolted to the bottom of this radio to fill up the lower space.
It has a tape player and CD player all in one, and ah makes sense..so I could essentially find that glove box online somewhere, or at a junkyard?

If you have a radio the fits the space you should be able to adapt the lower glove box to fill the lower space.
If I do not, I surely can find a way to make something work...I need to get exact measurements though.

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

The panel with the mirror switch comes out by itself. This may be enough to install the switch. Install the switch then fish the wires behind the dash.

The lower dash finish panel comes off. Panel starts under the steering column moves left to side trim.

The radio has a trim panel around the radio and lower climate control system that needs to come off to remove the radio.

For the radio, suggest reviewing photos at ebay for Toyota radios, stereo, etc. You will find radios that single height (2x7 inches) or double height (4x7). These two sizes are standardized (DIN and double DIN) to allow radios to be built that fit more then one make of car.

Most Toyota's are built to be able to hold a radio that is 4x7. If the car built has a radio measuring 2x7 a tray or small glove box is attached below the radio to hide the extra space in the dash.

Yes, if you can find the glove box or tray from a car having a 2x7 radio you can use this. Might try Ebay for this item. Some junkyard sell Toyota radios they pulled. The tray or box is attached to the radio and come out with it. They may have this item for sell.