DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Dome light fuse keeps burning up + Cigarette lighter fuse as well

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Default Dome light fuse keeps burning up + Cigarette lighter fuse as well

Hello
1) My dome light went out abt a year back ...and every time i try to put a new one it burns the fuse (which controls the power door locks as well).....is there anyway i can trouble shoot this?

2) Further every once in a while...my clock and cigarette lighter fuse burns out...I have a feeling this is because of me twisting and turning the power converter in there (I have a stub like adapter which has 2 USB sockets for my phone and GPS).....

Please advise with some trouble shooting tips.

Cheers
CV

Background: Am a student, don't have a garage, have some basic tools, am not very great but am reasonably mechanically inclined.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

If the fuse blows when you install a new dome light the issue is with the dome light fixture such has bulb holder or switch.

The fixture and bulb always have DC power. The dome light switch is what connects the bulb to ground or to the door switches that in turn will ground the return power wire.

For some reason installing the bulb seems to be shorting power to ground. Look for short in socket, etc.

It has happened the cig lighter socket has a short. Not sure you can fix the socket.