DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

front wheel bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Default front wheel bearing noise

hi, how can i tell if i have a front wheel bearing starting to go on my 2000 camry v6, it seems to have a slight bearing noise from the front of the car, it isnt always evident depending on what road surface i am on, any other suggestions as to what it could be,thinking front rotars need resurfacing because i get a slight wheel wobble on braking,no vibration through steering wheel when i am traveling, even up to 110 k,s,
tried just sitting at park in the driveway and reving to 2500 rpm for 15 seconds and all is quiet so its not alternator noise etc.
cheers fergi

Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 AM

I purchased 06 scion tc and the car had noise over 40 mph and was due to bad tires-have been sitting on the same spot for a while and they had flat areas.So if u have older tires on it u might wanna check this out.A easy way to say that the bearing is going bad is to have the front of the car lifted and shake the wheel left-right up and down .if its all good there souldn't be any clicks or loose feeling .If the car is manual u can lift the whole front end of the ground and then start the car and run it to 3rd gear or like 50 mph and shut the engine off.Any noise u hear is the wheel bearing .Im not shure if this test will work on auto cars .As far is rotor resurfacing i do not recoment this to no one.Most shops will charge like 20 bucks each and u can get a new rotor for like 30 with warranty.Many tests show that the resurfaced rotor do not preform (brake) in the specs

Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 AM

thanks for the reply ivaylon,,,,,, i had new tyres on about 10000ks so maybe not there, although at times it does sound a bit like a small flat spot at times, i know the left hand cv joint boot is torn,maybe this is catching wind at speed and making a noise,the car is a one owner and 160000 ks,its imaculate in condition,i will try the diagnose you suggested with jacking up the front.
fergi

Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM

the axle could be doing noise too.if u hear klicking noise while turning the axle is going bad.I will suggest to replace the cv boot if u have the tools to do so,running it without grease with eventually damaged it .

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Concur with Ivaylonikolov.

Make some 90 and 180 degree turns and listen for clicking and popping.

The torn boot is sooner or later going to result in a failed CV joint, even replacing it now may be too late. Depends on how long it is gone with the boot damage.

I stopped resurfacing rotors years ago unless it that took hours to remove and replace them such as the front of older Honda's. A new rotor can be had for same price or cheaper as resurfacing, resurfaced rotors in my experience had problems within a year. In my opinion it's not worth it to resurface.