DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Help with camshaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Default Help with camshaft installation

I have a 2.2L 4 cyl 5fse engine. I was paying someone to replace the headgasket, but apparently they did not know what they were doing and now I have to finish the job. He removed both camshaft from the head without setting the knockpin or the service bolt. I've got the bolt in the exhaust cam now, I think I understand that. I have installed now the intake camshaft, but how do I know if it is in the right position? An I know that there are timing marks on the rear of the gears that must line up, however the intake camshaft has now been rotated to about 10 degrees before vertical.
Do I need to rotate the lifters somehow for the exhaust cam to line up? Please help. This is my first time going this far with any engine...

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have some kind of service manual info, if not obtain this.

Was the location of each shim marked to replace on the same valve? Shim thickness will vary to set the valve clearance.

The service bolt should have been installed prior to removing the cams. However you can pry the split gear to rotate it and install bolt.

The back of each cam gear has two dots. You want the lower dots to align when the exhaust cam gear is installed. The knock pin will need to rotated to allow this.

When you install the exhaust cam you want the No 2 and 4 cylinder exhaust lobes to push evenly on the valve lifers. Then rotate cam into position GENTLY! The intake and exhaust cams will need to rotated slightly to get the exhaust cam to evenly lower into the journals.

Don't force the cam into place. When tightening bearing caps make sure the cam bearing surfaces are not binding. It is possible to break the cam if binding is allowed.

The goal is to have the two lower dots on each gear aligned, knock pin alignment helps with this.

Once cam is installed, make sure to remove the service bolt.