DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

High beam lighting partially functional

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Default High beam lighting partially functional

The only way high beam lighting functions is via the courtesy high beam flash (i.e., pulling back on the high beam switch). When I engage the high beam switch forward, the high beam lighting does not come on. Is this switch faulty? Is it part of a combination switch, requiring steering wheel removal or can the headlight switch be replaced alone?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

If high beam flash operates the HB lights then circuit to the light switch is OK. This leaves the light switch itself.

If a 95 Camry, should be able to remove covers on steering column (and then switch) without removing steering wheel.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM

It's a 95 Camry Wagon. So are you saying the Wagon implements an individual headlight switch as opposed to being part of a combination switch, i.e., a switch which includes the turn signal, etc. vs. a single switch? See attached switch pics.

Attached Thumbnails High beam lighting partially functional-combination-switch.jpg   High beam lighting partially functional-single-switch.jpg  

Last edited by bobioni; 07-28-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: PICTURE COMPARISON
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Check headlight dimmer switches below:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,4340

The headlight switches ground the negative terminal of bulbs. If HB flasher switch works, and HB on/off switch still "clicks" but no HB's. Could be switch contacts are bad, corroded, broken, ?

Last edited by toyomoho; 07-28-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM

I understand that the switch is faulty. What I'm trying to clarify is whether I'll be replacing a single switch or a combination switch as in the pics I posted previously. I want to plan my time accordingly and want to know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

If the only switch that does not work is the high beam on/off, then this is the switch that needs replacing. This switch would be at the base of the light switch stem.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Default Headlamp switch removal

The Chilton Manual (published in 1998), covering Camry 1983-1996, Chapter 8-21, leads me to believe that this switch can only be replaced as a combination. If that's not the case, how do you individually separate the headlamp switch from the combination assembly? I've removed the upper & lower steering column cover & can see the headlamp switch. Are there screws holding only the headlamp switch in place?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe you can't see the screws.

Headlight dimmer switch bolts from behind to switch body (part the column goes through).

Light control arm is held by a plate to the switch body by a front bolt.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM

In a post dated May 26, 2011 @ 7:39AM, beentherebefore spoke of a 95 Camry dimmer switch problem, and the need to remove the combination switch entirely, to change out the dimmer switch. Your reply was "Great job!" The message to me above leads me to believe that I can remove/replace the dimmer switch using an offset tool to remove the switch bolts which anchor the switch to the switch body. Is this possible or does the combination switch have to come out to replace the dimmer switch?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

You need to remove the steering wheel to gain access to the dimmer switch screws as the steel backing plate is in the way.

Not to bad of job. Haynes manual should have instructions. Be sure to disarm the airbag system by disconnecting battery and waiting 90 seconds. Make sure you don't move the front wheel alignment to make sure the wheel is installed in the same location. Make sure all airbag electrical cables are connected before reconnecting airbag.

Quick Reply: High beam lighting partially functional