DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

How do you install a Bulldog keyless entry system in a 2002 Camry LE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Default How do you install a Bulldog keyless entry system in a 2002 Camry LE?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I plan on being a member for a loooong time. I just bought a 2002 Camry LE and LOVE it! The one problem i've had tho is that the dealer didn't give us the original key, they only had a key copy. and it has a very hard time unlocking the doors (ignition works perfect). I spoke to the dealer and they wont do anything since we didn't know about it 'before' we purchased it. I am planning on installing a bulldog keyless entry system (model 1702) but have never done that specific job before. I am very comfortable with wiring and I'm confident I can do just about any job with good instructions. Does anybody have step by step instructions for this job? OR does anyone have general tips and tricks related to my camry that i might want to look for? Anything will help.

Thank you!

-Luke

Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 PM

1. why don't you start with taking key apart and cleaning contacts with eraser?
2. normally, remote keys have to go through "learning", or mating procedure. It might have not been done well, and now you have this issue.
3. a new key is better option than an aftermarket new system and hassle of install, with chances of screwing up something.
4. why even bother? your car is equipped and functional, isn't it better to mend what you have?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
1. why don't you start with taking key apart and cleaning contacts with eraser?
2. normally, remote keys have to go through "learning", or mating procedure. It might have not been done well, and now you have this issue.
3. a new key is better option than an aftermarket new system and hassle of install, with chances of screwing up something.
4. why even bother? your car is equipped and functional, isn't it better to mend what you have?

Sorry I didn't clarify, it didn't come with the stock keyless entry, its just a keyed entry. the physical key has trouble unlocking the door. That's why i want to just install a keyless because i figure its just as much as installing a new door lock but its way more convenient when its done. Thats good info for the future tho. thanks for responding.

-Luke

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM

yeah, you will end up with 2 keys otherwise, like old GM cars, one for door and one for ignition.
to install remote, your car must have receiver installed or, at least, be pre-wired for it. the rest is technical labor. if it was optional for your year, you most likely have plug for receiver, or even receiver. I had a car like this, that had receiver plug and all I had to do was to add it, and voila.
have fun.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM

where is the receiver in you camry

Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

These posts are dated 2011.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Yes, funny how sometimes these old posts come back from dead...

I just happened to run across this while browsing and it was exactly what I needed. I had previously installed one of these Bulldog 1702 remote entry systems into my daughters Celica... but for the life of me couldn't remember the brand name.

Viola, here it is.

Found one on eBay for about $40 shipped.

Now I'll have remote entry on my new to me 1999 Camry.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:03 PM

SO, I finally got around to installing the keyless entry. Pretty straight forward, the included instructions and Bulldog website provide the info needed. Once I found the "orange" connector under the steering column, a couple scotch-locks and I was in business.

For now I just opted for the keyless entry, but may tinker around later and see about ignition kill and the horn beep and light flashing.