DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

how to test a 1995 Camry starter solenoid

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Question how to test a 1995 Camry starter solenoid

Hi - how do I check to see if 12V is getting to my starter in a 95 Camry?
Also if 12V is there could that still mean my starter solenoid is bad? Is there
an easy test for the solenoid?
Thanks
Kevin

Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

The solenoid is a large relay. When you turn the ign key to start 12V is applied to the electrical coil of the relay to power it and close the contact that allow power to go from the battery to the starter motor.

Find the solenoid bolts to the starter motor. You should see a large (assume red colored) electrical cable attached to it by a stud and nut. There may be a plastic cap over the nut.

On the opposite side of the solenoid is is another stud. Attached to it a large cable going to the starter motor itself.

There is also a small dia wire running to the solenoid. This is for the 12V from the ignition system.

If the solenoid makes a clicking noise when the ign key is turned to start power is getting to the solenoid via the small diameter wire to energize the solenoid.

The issue may be the solenoid contacts are bad resulting in a bad electrical circuit.

If you have jumper cables run one cable from the + battery terminal to the large red cable connected to the solenoid. Have someone turn the ign key to start while you make sure the jumper cable clamp stays on the stud.

Touching the cable to any metal surfaces other then the stud will cause major arcing!

If the starter now works OK the issue is the large electrical cable or its connections.

If the starter motor has the same problem as before move the jumper cable to the opposite large terminal. Just touch it, if the starter motor is OK it will now rotate normally.

If the large cable going to the solenoid is OK (no difference when the jumper was applied) and the starter motor rotates OK when connected directly to the battery, and the solenoid clicks when the ign key is moved to start. This leaves the solenoid as the problem.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll give it a try.
My guess is that its the solenoid but I didnt know how to go
about testing it.
Thanks!
Kevin

Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM

I was able to start it by placing the jumper cable on the starter cable and the battery.
Does that wire go directly from the starter to the battery?
The thing thats odd is it measured 12 volts with a voltmeter.
I have a multimeter so could I take an ohmmeter reading across the same points?
Its weird that 12 volts could be there but it wont start. Does this boost the current
when I do the direct connect from the battery?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you can start the engine by placing the jumper cable between the battery terminal and starter solenoid terminal where the battery cable attaches (bypassing the cars battery cable), check for problems with the cable.

Such as poor or corroded connections between the battery cable and its end fitting terminals that attach to the battery and starter solenoid or a bad connection between the battery cable terminal and the battery terminal.

The large cable on the starter solenoid goes directly to the battery, nothing is in-between.

Use a volt meter to test the cable as described in the line below:

How to Check Resistance in Battery Cables | eHow.com

And

Voltage Drop Testing

Connect the meter leads between the terminals ends of the cable (they are still connected). This will measure the voltage drop across the cable. Too high of drop will result in lack of available current at the starter solenoid. Jumping the battery with another battery provides extra available current.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks so much! That was it. I had originally cleaned the battery connections
with a wire brush. So this time I used a piece of sandpaper and really made them shine.
I also did the same to the starter connections. Then it started right up!
Thanks for all the great advice.
Kev

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM

its a good news!I'll do those things to in cleaning up my battery...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks for posting back with the fix.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Default solenoid

my car can't start after i came back from mall..then i ask my friend come to see my car..he knock the body solenoid then ask me to start while he knocking..then it start..what exactly cause it happen and what i need to prevent it happen again..tq