DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Interior Door Handle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Default Interior Door Handle Problem

I'm new to the forum so I hope I posted in the right thread. My LH rear interior(drivers side) handle & bezel are broken. I need a clue on how to put a new one in. Do I have to take the door panel off etc.? Also do you have a reasonable place to buy the handle? The car is a 98 Camery CE with medium oak interior color.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Look inside the bezel for a small plastic cover. Remove the cover to reveal a screw, remove the screw.

Use a flat bladed screwed driver with the tip covered in plastic tape to prevent scratching. Pry out the cover at the circumference of the cover in the areas above and below the hinge of the long pull latch arm.

The door panel is held on by screws, clips and bolts.

Look on the door edge of the panel for one fastener. There is one on the pull door handle and far forward upper area of the panel both covered by plastic caps. Plus a few others. Perhaps 6 fasteners in all.

One the fasteners are removed, Use the same screw driver pry the door panel around its circumference at locations of the far lower front corner, far upper area below the fastener, area behind the pull door handle and 3-4 inches below this.

Then pull the panel up and out. Disconnect any power window and door harnesses.

The door handle can be removed by taking out one screw and pulling forward on the handle assy. Disconnect the various links.

An internet search will result in sites the sell the the handle.

Last edited by toyomoho; 11-28-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Look inside the bezel for a small plastic cover. Remove the cover to reveal a screw, remove the screw.

Use a flat bladed screwed driver with the tip covered in plastic tape to prevent scratching. Pry out the cover at the circumference of the cover in the areas above and below the hinge of the long pull latch arm.
Thank you I'll give that a try. I'm still looking for a place to get the parts reasonable.