DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Need help removing Camshaft pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Default Need help removing Camshaft pulley!

Hi, I'm trying to replace a timing belt on a 96 Camry LE(4 cyl, 2.2L) and I want to replace all the seals to stop the oil leaks. Have been unable to loosen the camshaft bolt so far and I'm looking for suggestions (pulley keeps turning & I'm unable to hold it still while I try and loosen the pulley bolt). Starting to round the bolt head so I figure I should ask for help before doing any damage. Ideas? Suggestions?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 PM

camshaft or crankshaft? you do not need to remove camshaft pulley to replace timing belt.
crankshaft pulley is normally high torqued. I have one word for you. Actually, two.
USE ONLY WELL FITTING SOCKETS.
impact wrench. that'll do it.
don't have one? drive to nearest tire shop and ask them to break it loose for you, and then hand torque back, so that you can manage it with hand tools. will have to be impact wrench re-torqued after done.

not sure about yours, BUT SOME ENGINES HAVE LEFT HAND THREAD BOLT, AND SOME HAVE UNIDIRECTIONAL MAIN SEALS. in plain English - do not turn engine "against the hair".

Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 AM

I used the starter-bump method to loosen the crank bolt & I already pulled the crank pulley off. I want to change all the seals to stop the oil leaks so I want to pull the camshaft pulley off as well. Then I can change the seal behind it as well. My next attempt is wrapping the old timing belt around the camshaft pulley, and than wrap a strap wrench around that. Not holding out much hope thought. Don't know if there is enough room to get an impact wrench on the camshaft pulley.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

No need for impact, see your other post on this issue.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM

gotcha.
locate wrench sites on camshaft. they are somewhere in the middle of it. 2 flat surfaces. Find suitable spanner or crescent wrench, and lock cam in place to prevent it from turning. Undo center sprocket bolt only.