DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

oil pan gasket for 98 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Default oil pan gasket for 98 2.2L

The bolts at the trans end are covered with a foam. Do I need to reuse that foam. Otherwise, I am not sure of what parts need to be loosened / removed to get the full clearance to remove the pan.
There is a bracket to the front side, that I cannot loosen one bolt to move out of the way.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Hello cochise. I just recently replace my oil pan gasket on my 2001 Camry with the 2.2L engine. I just posted a DIY on the job on another forum but the members there didn't exactly welcome it. I'll try to rewrite and post the DIY here later.

The foam doesn't have to be reuse; you can tear it out of the way. I believe the bracket you're describing is the stiffener. It has two 14mm bolt that gose to the transmission and one 14mm bolt that goes into the engine. This brace has to be remove to get to the oil pan bolts (which also holds an exhaust manifold stay, that doesn't have to be remove)

Here's the two bolts at the Transmission

Here's the third one at the Engine

A few owners claimed they remove the pan with dropping the exhaust. I was unable to do that. A few years ago, I had to replace the flex pipe on my Camry's exhaust and it must have been bigger than factory and got in the way. If your exhaust bolts are not so rusty, I still highly recommend dropping the down pipe from the exhaust manifold. This includes removing the exhaust bracket by the flex pipe and loosing the exhaust hanger behind it. This also you to easily install the pan with new FIPG straight up install of juggling around the exhaust pipe.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 AM

Yuko , Thanks for the comment ! Looking at the job, I thought that the insulator wasn't too important. Since the the stiffener needs to be removed, ( which was what I thought)
(but was hoping I was wrong , lol) my current issue is finding the right tool combination, ( looks like the one you have the wrench on,
to loosen to 2nd 14mm bolt up (looking at it from underneath the car). I dropped the exhaust, but didnt remove it complety. Do you replace those tension type locknuts, or just re use the 3 that were on the exhaust pipe.
I will be looking for any more info or hints you might have. Thanks again.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM

OK, got the pan off. Gotta clean the gasket surface on the motor, . Reaching the rear section looks like it will be tough. Is there anything that is recommended to remove the old sealer compound. Also have a boken bolt that needs repair. right at the corner, by the frame. Hope that doesn't become a big project.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

By the book, they recommend replacing the exhaust nut but I reused the original nuts with no problem since they were still in good condition. (Torque to 46 ft lb) Also, there's an exhaust gasket that sets on the down pipe. Some say you can reuse them but for $3 at any parts store, I think it's best to drop in a new one. Felpro: 23626 or Toyota P/N 90917-06066.

I used a thin metal scraper and some brake cleaner. Be careful when cleaning the block because the oil pump housing and the rear cap on the block is aluminum and you don't when to dig into that.

If you're using FIPG (foam in place gasket) or RTV, here's the recommend way to apply the bead. Near the rear of the pan, you'll have to run the bead near the edge because there's not much mating surface on the block.

Permatex Ultra is very similar to the OE sealant but had a 24hr cure time. Permatex right stuff has a quicker drying time and you can add oil back in the engine after the pan is on. Either sealant, the pan and block surface has be very clean from oil or it will leak. Pan bolts are torqued to 48 INCH IB. But I just tighten them reasonably with my hand on the head of the racket.

If you're using a cork gasket (which I got bitched about on another Toyota forum), be aware you'll have to re-tighten the pan bolts since the cork gasket will compress a bit after a few days. Hope that broken bolts come out with ease for you.

Last edited by Yuko; 06-19-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 PM

I was going to replace the tension nuts for the exhuast. But they were only available @ Home Depot in a 1.50 pitch. The car has a 1.25 pitch for those nuts. Maybe I will look in Lowes. Of course I know about the exhaust gasket and have it waiting to go on.
I am using the Felpro cork gasket, (please don't tell those other guys.) Should I use any sealer with that gasket? Thanks for the details on the sealer beads. Just sealer on pan. or both sides of gasket.?
While we are talking, I know I didnt mention the trans pan is also being done.
The torque for those bolts, (same size) I guess will also be 48 in lbs. ?
That broken bolts did cause a small problem. Didnt get it drilled straight on centre.
So it ends I only have a few threads left in that hole. So I picked up a 40mm long bolt,
to run all the way thru, and up. The extra length should allow me to back up the threads, with a nut. So I got a tension nut to put on that bolt. . Oh well..

Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 AM

The transmission pan bolts are to torque 43 in lb. (Pretty much the same as the engine oil pan but uses a molded rubber gasket.)

The factory recommend using only sealant or FIPG on the oil pan side with the engine side clean and dry before installation; no gasket. There are several reasons cork gasket is not recommended. Cork gasket loose compression and dry out over time which will cause it to leak. Also require period re-torquing of the bolts. There's also the chance of the gasket breaking apart and falling into the engine oil in pieces. (If I had a choice, a molded rubber gasket would be best but I couldn't find one.)

If you’re comfortable with using the cork gasket, run a small bead of sealant at the four corners where the aluminum housing meets the engine block. Felpro recommend to install the gasket dry and that what I did. I did apply some spray adhesive to the pan to stick the gasket on so it wouldn't slide off when installing.

Having said that, I'm planning to redo my oil pan job and using only FIPG instead of the cork just like the factory.

Last edited by Yuko; 06-20-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:38 AM

I think I will give a shot at looking for a different gasket.. For the record the
Fel Pro gasket is cork..
Back to the trans for a sec please. I have from different sources that the A140 trans uses Dextron II , and another states Dextron III. AutoZone had their own brand, a Dextron IV , which says it can be used in place of either II or III. So I picked 3 qts up.What would you recommend for trans fluid? And while on the subject, do you know how many qts I should have on hand for this job.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Dexron VI (GM skip 4 and 5 for some reason) is backward compatible with Dexron III and II. A drain and refill takes about 2.6 quarts so 3 quarts sound good. I personally like to use Valvoline Maxlife ATF and others had good success with Castrol Transmax Dexron VI and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Autozone's Dexron VI is a good ATF which is made by Warran Oil and approved by GM. (All approved Dexron VI ATF has to be full synthetic anyway.)

BTW, if you do find a rubber pan gasket, would you mind posting the part number? Thanks.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

For Dexron IV see link below:

http://www.toyotapart.com/AUTOMATIC_...T-TC001-02.pdf

Your trans is an A140E.

Look at Wix for rubber gasket.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket for 98 2.2L