DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Repair Manual for 1998 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Default Repair Manual for 1998 Camry

I am looking for a detailed repair manual for the Do-it-yourself Camry owner. I called the dealer and they suggest I buy direct from Haynes since that is where they would get it. $29 seems a good price but how good is the manual compared to a Chilton or other repair manual publisher?
What is everyone's experience with using the Haynes manual, is it very detailed as far as steps, photos, diagrams for servicing engine parts, power steering, replacing spark plugs, etc.?
Does it cover just the engine, drive train, brakes etc.... not the body?
Does anyone have experience with "Tradebit" - a downloadable manual? Can you really get the whole manual for the Camry for $15 to keep?
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by CamryMik
I am looking for a detailed repair manual for the Do-it-yourself Camry owner. I called the dealer and they suggest I buy direct from Haynes since that is where they would get it. $29 seems a good price but how good is the manual compared to a Chilton or other repair manual publisher?
What is everyone's experience with using the Haynes manual, is it very detailed as far as steps, photos, diagrams for servicing engine parts, power steering, replacing spark plugs, etc.?
Does it cover just the engine, drive train, brakes etc.... not the body?
Does anyone have experience with "Tradebit" - a downloadable manual? Can you really get the whole manual for the Camry for $15 to keep?
Thanks.
I have both the Haynes and Chilton manuals on my 1997 Camry, and they are almost identical! If I had it to do over, I'd only buy the Chilton; but as I said before, they are almost identical. Speaking as a former foreign car mechanic, in my opinion a factory manual would be MUCH better, but the cheapest I have seen was in the neighborhood of $125. For the average backyard mechanic, either the Chilton or Haynes manual will probably do just fine. But you can find either online for less than $20, so don't pay $29!

Last edited by mothorton; 10-01-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: aded information
Old 10-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about Tradebit but I can say that I use Haynes manuals. I've owned several cars and I have always used Haynes. That being said, some areas imply that you are mechanically inclined and do not need any hand holding. It's not been a problem for me but I understand when other people complain.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 AM

this link will compliment your repair manual when you have electrical faults

your years camry models are in the camry list ..

Toyota Workshop Manuals

Last edited by dirty hands; 10-02-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 PM

I love doing my own work and ALWAYS prefer the FACTORY service manuals. Yes, they are pricey. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find them used on eBay...

I guess that a Chilton or Haynes would do in a bind, but in my opinion they are always a little lacking when it comes to details.

Just another opinion...