DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Replacing coolant hose 3SFE engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Default Replacing coolant hose 3SFE engine

A small coolant hose that attaches to a metal pipe is leaking. This is a 1989 Camry 4 cylinder 3SFE engine. It is midway up on the firewall side of the engine and nearly impossible to access. The only way I can see to get at it is to remove the distributor and several coolant hoses in the way - from the side. Even then, access is marginal. Does anyone know a trick to replace this hose? It appears to be a fair amount of dismantling to get at this small hose. Thanks for any advice.....

Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM

no short cut I know --it is very tight around there

that metal pipe may be corroded ?

may as well replace all the hoses in that area and good clamps if you have to take bits off

Name:  cooling.jpg
Views: 13675
Size:  58.2 KB

Last edited by dirty hands; 09-22-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the diagram! Yes, I suspect the metal pipe is corroded at the point of contact with the hose - I don't want to try and replace the pipe too, as that appears to get very complicated. I'll try pushing the rubber hose further down the pipe, and hope that it does not fall apart as I try. With a vehicle this old (230K miles), one thing leads to another - everything is old and corroded. Might be the beginning of the end for it, as it'd be too costly to farm it out.
Thanks for the diagram!
Is that line only servicing the heater? The leak is at the small connection on the downward flow hose where it connects to the metal piping. past the ISC valve. If it has nothing to do with engine cooling, could I just block it off at the ISC valve? Could it still backflow from the leaking spot?
Thanks for your help - I appreciate your time.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:47 AM

that cooling pipe and system has to be there--shouldnt blanked off

this will help
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how...ol-valve-works

cooling the ISC Valve- its part of the electronic engine system management (complicated )

how difficult is it to remove the intake manifold -to do the job or that throttle body off eneough to work in a space
is the plenum part bolted on to the inlet manifold ?

Last edited by dirty hands; 09-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.