DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Starter replaced and something happens...

Old 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Exclamation Starter replaced and something happens...

Just finished replacing the starter on my 06 Camry 2.4L and now something is funny. My idle appears to be low, headlights are dimming and the car shut down on my as I returned from a test run. During the test run the engine appeared to be sputtering. Kinda late to check the plugs and battery because I do not own a garage and where I live, I cannot do repairs on my vehicle while parked on the street. Need to know if my battery needs to be replaced or my plugs. By the way, replacing the starter was easier than I thought after watching a video on youtube.
Thanks for reading and advice

Old 07-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Did you disconnect the battery? If so, the computer needs to relearn the throttle settings.

If the idle is low and perhaps battery needing a charge, the lights might dim.

As to what to do. Before digging into this and that, drive the car for a time and the problem may fix itself.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 AM

Thank you for taking time to read my post and responding. Yes , battery was disconnected and reconnected after i completed installing the new starter, I took it for a short test run and I noticed that the idle was lower than usual. Came back home and when i started to park the car it shut down as I was parking. Started it again and finished parking. Car sat overnight, this morning as i started it , have to take wife to her job, it started fined and idle appeared normal. As we stopped at a traffic light the idle was dropping to at least 700-500 rpms. I dropped her off at her job and took it for a drive to see if it resets while driving along a highway. Drove for about 9.5 miles and stopped at a supermarket where I got a few things. Started the car fine and the idle appeared fine, went home and parked it, the car did not shut down.
Just finished watching some youtube videos about the low idle problem and several ppl in the videos stated that cleaning the throttle body solved their low idle problems. They have stated that it happens once you reconnect the battery or in stalling a new one.
Again, thanks for reading and responding, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

You can clean the throttle body which can help.

Use something like below: NOT brake cleaner, etc as some try to use.

Amazon.com: CRC 05078 Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner - 12 Wt Oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: CRC 05078 Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner - 12 Wt Oz.: Automotive

Old 08-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Joey, use a cleaner that is safe for plastics.
A natural occurrence is that there is build up by the throttle plate. The computer will make slight adjustments to compensate for the narrower opening; opening the throttle plate more.
I have done this before and I disconnected the battery and cleaned the throttle body. Connected the battery and start the car. I let the car idle for 15 minutes before I drove it to help the computer re-learn.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:45 AM

The dimming headlights make me think battery. Get that tested first. Batteries can failed suddenly with no warning at all.