DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

transmission fluid change

Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Default transmission fluid change

My 2009 le has 60k on it now so time to change fluid. Id rather do it myself seeing how toyota tells me you can use their fluid. I want to put in synthetic and amsoil told me theirs is compatible. How do i go about doing this? Is there a fillup? I heard there is an overflow and I was just goin to replace the pan gasket and can you clean the screen? Does the trany fluid have to be a certain temp when adding it? just curious thanks guys

Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I suggest you review posts or ask at the Toyotanation website.

If the trains has no dipstick the filler plug is on the trans body. If this is one of the newer trans having fully synthetic there is a process for changing the fluid.

As I recall there is a trans fluid temp gauge the computer can read. The trans is filled with new fluid, the engine run to a point where the temp is met, excess fluid drained.

To get all the fluid changed requires a pumping all the fluid out of the pan AND converter. The converter holds about 2/3 of the fluid.

If cleaver you can disconnect the hose from the cooler going to the trans pan and using a process of pumping out the old, adding more fluid and repeating the process, until clean fluid shows up.

The fluid in these trans is checked by color comparing to a color chart. New color fluid versus darkened fluid. In theory the fully synthetic should last at least 100K for normal driving.

Some people have used Amsoil, in the past it was not recommended to use anything other then Toyota fluid. This may have changed with experience using other brands.

One more reason to check at the Toyotanation site where this subject has been fully discussed over time.