DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Transmission type?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Default Transmission type?

I'm trying to sort some issues on my '90 Camry All Trac 5 speed before the weather turns completely to crap. My 4th gear sycnro is failing in the transmission, as it crunches going into gear if I don't shift very carefully & time the shift with the RPMs. My speedo is also not working, but I was able to drive it by spinning the cable with a drill. It's either the gear that drives the cable or the output gear in the transmission (unlikely, I know).

My actual question is: What is the name of the transmission in my car?

For example, my BMW 325i has a Getrag 260 transmission. I use that to find parts for it. I've dug around in different articles and forums but get conflicting answers. One place says that it's a e150f, but another place says that only came in the Celicas. Which may be possible, because it does feel much sportier than your average Camry (not that I've driven many). The ratios are pretty close for a family sedan, anyway.

I'd like to know for sure so I can cross-reference parts and maybe track down another transmission. I'm not sure about pulling mine and rebuilding it, because I may run into some surprise parts that I need and have the car down longer than I want it to be. Being in Indiana, we can start getting snow any time, and I'd like to just build a transmission and swap it out.

I am fairly sure the engine is the 3S-FE, if that helps anything.

**Edit**
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum...I thought I was posting in General Tech where my ABS thread is about to go... Sorry!

Last edited by rtuite; 10-31-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Typically Camry has a sticker somewhere on the car with data including trans model.

Toyota service info states 3SFE used E56F5 on 4-wheel drive (All-Trac). This could be a variation of an E56 trans which appears was used in some Celica year (Model ST202) but not US models.

Toyota had many trans models, some being variations of another model (perhaps bell housing or not) plus variations in gearing. Plus a host of car models with various names sold in different countries similar but not the same as US models.

Might also look at the E52 since this pops up with E56F5 parts searches.