ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

1994 Camry Flashing Cruise, Air Bag

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Default 1994 Camry Flashing Cruise, Air Bag

Hi All,

I picked up a 1994 Camry yesterday. I originally purchased this Camry new back in 1994 and sold it to a friend of the family about 5 years ago for half of it's value to help him out. He is now purchasing a new car and offered the Camry back to me. I am checking it out to determine if it is road worthy before putting a few $ into it and giving it to my niece that is in deperate need of a car.

It is the V6 XLE model with 195K miles. He recently had the timeing belt and water pump replaced. The exhaust is loud but I'm sure I can get that fixed.

What concerns me most is that the check engine light is on and the air bad and cruise lights both flash quickly. The check engine light is on with the ignition but the cruise and air bag lights start to flash when the engine is started. The lights will stop for a short time but then start flashing again. I tried to count the number of flashes to get a code but I lost count around 250.

Are there specific instructions for a 1994 Camry to reset the check engine to to pull and check the codes? I searched but did not find anything specific to this year. Also, is there a list of codes published somewhere to check against?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

What year again, 1994 or 1995?

The air bag light flashing means there is a problem with the system. Same for cruise control. A code(s) should be stored in the airbag and cruise control computer.

Note: When then airbag light is flashing the system is off, it will not deploy in an accident.

For 1994-1995, this model/engine type had a hybrid engine code read out system. This meaning it was not like the 1990ish through 1995 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine and not completely compatible with 1996 ODBII system that all cars now employ.

You will need to find a shop that can do the job, or a code reader having the adapters to read this cars codes. The Toyota dealer can of course do this, but they will charge up to $100.

You still may be able to read out the airbag and cruise codes without a reader. Look for a small box inside the engine compartment labeled "Diagnostic." It may be mounted on one of the suspension upper strut mount towers in the engine compartment.

There should also be a round plug located under the dash near the steering column.

If interest in going this route, locate the plugs then post back for instructions.

You should be able to clear all the codes by disconnecting the battery for 10+ seconds.

Before doing so, make sure the radio or car does not have theft prevention system. The front of the radio should state something to this effect if it has this system. If either are present, they may be triggered when the battery is reconnected.

Disconnecting the EFI fuse for the same amount of time may also work.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look tonight and report back.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

I had a Toyota mechanic check out the Camry for me and found that :

CEL light is due to 02 sensor. It was reset and has not turned back on.

The air bag light is due to a bad wire in the drivers seat. Does this make sense to anyone and how would I repair this?

Cruise light flashing due to problem with switch. Is this common and can I fix existing switch or does it need to be replaced? I don't care if the cruise control no longer works, I just want the light to stop flashing.

Oil leak from rear valve cover gasket. He said it is a difficult (but doable) job. Do I only need valve cover gasket to fix or do I need other items also?

Where can I download the service manual for a 1994 Camry? Someone mentioned it is on this site but I can't find it. PM me if it can be emailed. Thanks.