ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

1998 Toyota Camry does not start at all.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Default 1998 Toyota Camry does not start at all.

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl 2.2 ltr, California Emission

Last week, when I start the car @ 12:30 midnight, its ran for about 2 min and then its shut down, since then it doesn't start. So far I had verified following items.
1. Car cranking very good and battery is only 6 month old, so battery is good.
2. At fuel filter outlet, loose the bolt andcrank car, fuel coming out with pressure, mean fuel pump is working fine.
3. All fuses/relays checked, so far all are good.
4. ECU units looks goods, reseated all connectors.
5. Ignition coil check for resistance and compare with new one, seems like good.. See good spark as well.
5A. open timing belt cover and belts looks good as well. with screw driver check the belt has enough tension, rotating and not broke.
6. everytime, I pull the spark plug out, its looks soaked with fuel. So someone mentioned that to replace ECT (Engine Coolant temprature) sensor, so I change that one as well. Also tried to start with pushing gas paddle to floor (fully Open throttle)... doesnot make any difference.
7. Check ECU (computer), showing no codes. Reseated all sensors plugs, no avail.
8. For MAP sensor, I was unable to disconnect the plug, so I had disconnected vaccum line to see if it records any code.... Now ECU showing MAP sensor codes. Replace the vaccume hose clear the code. Start cranking again with jumping car battery....
CAR CRANK BUT WOULD NOT START.
I am running out of ideas, it is very cold here, car in the work parking lot, so it is very difficult to get any help.

Please help me out.....

Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

How good of spark and did you check for spark at the plugs?

When you inspected the belt did you confirm the cam and crank pulley alignment was still OK?

Fuel pressure runs at around 45psi.

On rare occasions the EGR valve can get stuck open, this can prevent the engine from stating.

Toyotanation is also a good site for checking posts or asking, Toyota Yahoo Group.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks Joey...

Spark looks prety good... I also tried new ignition coil as well... AS far as CAMshaft and crank pulley allignment concern, belt is still intact and do not see any looseness or break, so I assume that they are pretty much aligned.. (Car in parking lot and its cold and snow , so I do not want to take it apart. Even it little off, It should be alleast attemp to start, but nothing happen. One time I took off Fuel Injector(FI) plug and crank, it seems like starting for a moment...as soon as I place the FI connector back...Fuel on spark plugs........
There are two ignition coil... one for Cyl 1 & 4 and other for Cyl 2 & 3... Check spark for both and getting spark. If one goes IGN coil go bad, it should show some hesitated start...

For 98 Camry 4cyl 5S-FE engine...Ignition coil and igniter are combine in one unit, Am I right? if Igniter are seperate, where it is located?

This is the first time Ifeel helpless....

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, same part for both.

Might be too much fuel pressure. Not sure if the pressure regulator was moved to the fuel pump in tank on this year.

If not then it's screwed onto the fuel rail and has a vacuum hose attached.

Note- There may be another can type object screwed onto the rail, a fuel pump pulse dampener. It does not have any other hoses connected to it.

The AutoZone website may have specific info in the sites vehicle repair guide section. You need to sign up but free.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Fuel Pressure regulator is located inside fuel tank... tomorrow, I will take a look to EGR valve and CAM Shaft position sensor..... I am running out of clue now, if it doesn't start tomorrow, I will towed the car to mechanics. I know that when you take to garage it may be turn out very simple stuff... and you have to pay very dearly as you taking a dead car to garage...no choice.

For the fuel injector car, if I take out EFI fuse, disable fuel pump then can I use starting fluid, spray through throttle ?
I am little hesitant, because last time I had the throttle using carburetor, wiped out all fluid then start car...it damage my A/F ratio sensor..cost me $200 to replace it.

I had disconnected crankshaft position sensor and measure resistance, it was look good, but I did not find camshaft position sensor connector.. I will take a look tomorrow... It is very cold and work outside 20 mile away from home...very challenging.

Thanks Joey. Appreciate your time and kindness... Will keep you posted regarding finding, so it may help someone in future...

Suresh

Last edited by khanna01; 02-10-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add some more info
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota progressively starting changing over to having both cam and crank sensors rather then the distributor. The car may have one sensor but not the other.

Not sure there is any advantage to using starter fluid, the engine seems to be getting fuel. Too much, wrong timing, don't know.

If you need the car have a shop look at it.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM

This car have Crank as well as Cam shaft position sensor... I checked both sensor resistance, it is with in spec... Timing belt is good, spark plugs new, replace ignition coils, all other sensors looks good as well... Still car won't start.... Only I can think is possibly bad gasoline.. Usually I fill up with Super, but last time I had bought mid-grade...It was snowing and raining... So I guess possibly i get lot of water with gas... thats the only possibility left besides bad ECU (Electronics Control Unit)... now this car has security system, so if ECU bad, do I need re programing?

I tried everything.... Last resort, I will take out the gasoline and place new gasoline............thats all...then I hand over to some mechanics..

Suresh

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

What type of security system, Toyota factory or dealer installed or aftermarket?

Does the car have an immobilizer? If so disconnecting the battery then reconnecting will engage the device preventing the car from starting.

This car is too early to have a VIN specific computer. If going this route make sure the new computer has the same part number as the old. Computers are typically year, engine, trans, emissions, etc, specific.

Bad gas does happen but this is due to the station selling bad gas. Doubt unless pouring enough water would have gotten into the gas to make a difference. There are some products that when added to the tank will get rid of the water, allow the engine to burn it and the chemical added.

Midgrade versus Super would not effect the cars ability to start.

If going to a shop post back with what you find out.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM

I will keep you posted about development.... Yes this car have Toyota build Immobilizer system.... thats the only security system it has.... I had disconnected battery in past and it never disengage the immobilize system...

Lets see what happen... Only symptom I found is all time spark plug get flooded, when I crank.......... when ever this issue resolved it may be a very simple.... I might hit my head on the wall at that time.... I like challenging work, but cold weather and snow on ground, work on street (no house & driveway)... I feel helpess......

Thanks....

Today, I look at the fuel railing, where fuel injector resides, at the end of railing I shows two 10mm bolts, open it, it was a plug with O-ring... I open that and asked one person to crank my car, while I was watching... I see fuel coming out of it, but seems like not mush fuel pressure... That may be the issue..... without pressure, injector can not generate a spray mist.... Now I will try first to replace a fuel filter and try.. If still not working, I may change a fuel pump... How hard to replace a fuel pump? I see on autozone site that fuel pump can reach through removing back seat cushion.... How to remove the back seat cushion? If any one have a picture, please.

I show on other forum. some people have a similar issue like mine...but when I reached to the end, they did not enter the resolution... what was a done to resolved the problem.

Once again, thank...keep you posted.

Last edited by khanna01; 02-12-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add some more info
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Default finally ... CAR Working

It was a TIMING BELT problem....

Belt was NOT broken.... Some of the teeth on the belt were came off When I checked first.. I had open a top cover little, then I had saw the belt was moving and it was look have a enough tension..... so I had assume that belts is ok... After I checked Fuel pump and all other stuff, once again I check belt, this time the broken teeth came on top, ten I push belt... it was look really loose... It prove that the timing belt is NO GOOD... I had given to mechanic ... He replaced the timing belt (of course water pump too) and I am back in business....

Thanks everyone for your informative input and times... I really appreciate...

When car brake in winter time is really painful, specially when snow on the round....

Suresh... New Jersey....

Last edited by khanna01; 02-19-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Toyota Camry does not start at all.