ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
View Poll Results: Is the quality of your Camry what was expected at time of purchase?
Better than expected
33.33%
As expected
33.33%
Poorer than expected
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2006 keyless remote functions no longer work

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Exclamation 2006 keyless remote functions no longer work - faulty Door Control Receiver?

It seems the rke module I refer to in my original post below is called "Door Control Receiver" in Toyota manuals. I used the "Wireless Remote Transmitter Programming Procedure" below in "Confirmation Mode" and got no responding locking cycles. From what I have read, this indicates a bad receiver. Can anyone please shed some light on where the door control receiver is located on an '06 and how to replace it?

Programming To Program Wireless Remote Transmitters:
Procedure

Begin with:

The driver’s door open and unlocked.
Key out of the ignition.
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds.

2. Close and open driver’s door TWICE.
3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4 – 6 should be performed within 40 seconds.

4. Close and open the driver’s door twice.
5. Insert the key into the ignition.
6. Close the door.
7. Turn the ignition switch from “Lock” to “On” and back to “Lock” at about 1 second
intervals to select the desired mode:

-1 time for ADD mode.

-2 times for REWRITE mode.

-3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.

-5 times for PROHIBITION mode.

8. Remove the key from the ignition.
9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle “lock” to “unlock” a
number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If Confirmation or Prohibition modes have been selected, opening the door will
complete the procedure.

10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door
Lock confirmation:

A. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and
1.5 seconds and release.

B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1
second and release.

If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will
cycle “lock” to “unlock” once at this time.

If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the
locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct
transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.

C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B.

11. Open the driver’s door to conclude programming mode.

Original Post:

Both keyless remotes (one heavily used, the other rarely) both stopped activating functions at the same time. They no longer lock, unlock, release trunk, or sound panic alarm. After some troubleshooting, all related fuses are good, door lock and security (infact all other electronics) seem to be working properly, and reseting the keyless remote receiver had no effect. I've read about checking for loose wires or replacing the rke module. Is the rke module in the '06 Camry an integral part of the body ecu? If not a loose wire, does the entire ecu need to be replaced? Anyone have any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by phb66; 08-15-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Updating information
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM

hi,I have the same problem and I went to the dealer they told me that I needed a new ecu which was going to cost me 590.80 plus an hour labor.I thought that this
should not have gone bad on a 2006 camry with 66,000 miles.I called toyota for
assistance and they agreed to pay half of the repair.(reinbursment)I'm not happy about that.I have lost my dependability for toyota.Does anyone else feel this way?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 PM

I sure feel that Toyota is loosing it grip on having a reputation as being trouble free.
I have had four older Toyotas and all I did was gas and oil.
One thing to point out though is Toyota isn't the lone ranger.

I was going to get a BMW until I read the review about them. Their transmissions are so bad about reverse going out there is actually a "NO reverse club!". Of coarse not all have this problem, just as not all Toyotas have their problems.

The service on about all the cars are nightmarish now. It's sad they don't step up to the plate and treat their customers like they want them to buy their product again.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM

Hi,

My 2006 Camry keyless remotes stopped working a couple of months ago. I actually have two but neither of them worked any more. I found this posting this morning, tried the Add procedure and it worked. However, a few hours later, it stopped working again. So, I decided to program it again. During the process, somewhere in the step 9 or 10, I accidentally open the car door. Because of that, I thought I'd do it again from the 1st step. Unfortunately, the lock no longer cycle, it was quiet within step 10.

I tried the "Rewrite" mode, but nothing happened, the car lock did not cycle.

I'm reluctant to try Confirmation or Prohibition mode, been afraid that something worse may happen. Please advice ...

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 AM

2006 Camry. In the past few months I've reprogrammed my keyless remote so many times that I know the procedure by memory. I located the wireless receiver in the passenger side rear door panel under the airbag. It was easy. One 10mm bolt and the panel has pop off rivets. Not really sure how to test it other than with a ohm meter and it appeared to be ok. I reprogrammed it and an hour later it didn't work. I got so damn mad I smacked the exterior of the passenger side panel and locks then worked. Now I'm wondering if there is a short somewhere.
Does anyone know if the keyless remote unit a separate unit from the ECU which is behind the glove compartment?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Default Test door control receiver.

Here is the best method to test your door receiver. Unplug the receiver, get circuit board out of housing (shell), plug that board back to where it was. Get hair dryer from your wife or still it from your girlfriend, heat up the board from components side (board needs to get really hot) while heating up the board press lock or unlock button on remote control. If you get it work then it’s temporary fix so you know the root cause. Replace door receiver. Get this door receiver from junk yard. Camry 2002 through 2006 uses same part 89741-AA020. When you call junk yard to see if they have Camry 2002-2006 never give them part number, they will charge you more for it. Even second grade student can replace this part easily. I got mine for $35 for 2006 Camry. Good luck. Do not forget to reprogram your keyless remote.

Last edited by Tall_Y; 11-02-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Unhappy 2005 Camry - Keyless not working

After 9 years the keyless FOBs quit working. New batteries and reprogamming does not fix the problem. Must be the DCR, Door Control Receiver. Still trying to figure out how to remove the cover on the pillar that hides this unit. Any thoughts most appreciated. PS: The Dome fuse controls the power to this unit and I had to pop it out to reset the unit to allow the programming to function..

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Receiver on passenger side of car, rear seat roof pillar?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Unhappy

I finally figured out how to remove the side pillar cover. Now I am trying to figure out how to remove the DCR unit. Must have to depress some clips....

Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM

I am still not sure of the location of the DCR. I have the cover off the pillar that is between the front and rear doors. Is this correct? All I see is the seat belt pullies, the side impact sensor and a large white plug. Is this it?

Quick Reply: 2006 keyless remote functions no longer work