ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

1995 Camry LE - Headlight Problem...brights work but not regular

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Default 1995 Camry LE - Headlight Problem...brights work but not regular

I changed the bulb and thought it would fix it but it still doesn't work on the driver's side headlight. Researched it might be the dimmer switch but want to make sure before I start ripping stuff apart.

Any ideas? Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Does the other headlight work OK, high/low beam if so the switch is OK.

Check wiring and fuses.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Does the other headlight work OK, high/low beam if so the switch is OK.

Check wiring and fuses.

yes, the passenger daytime headlight & bright works. The problem is that the driver's side daytime headlight doesn't work but the bright does work.

In related news, a police officer can write you a ticket for driving with brights on in conditions that call for it. So I can't drive with my brights on all the time either. I hate these car problems that increase the possibility of getting a ticket!

Thank you for your reply! I will check the fuses today.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Might be a wiring or bulb socket problem.

The left and right side headlights have separate fuses (LH and RH fuse). The fuse powers both high and low beam on one side.

The LH and RH low beam share the same ground circuit.

If you have a voltmeter check for +12v at the headlight socket (red wire) of the non-working light with low beam headlights on.

Check the grounding of the LH bulb wiring (white/black).

Old 10-14-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks again.

I tried checking and changing the fuses and still have the same problem. What will checking for +12v at the headlight socket accomplish? How do I check the grounding of the LH bulb wiring?

I was considering going to the salvage yard and trying to find a compatible wiring harness for the headlight? Would this be a better ideas?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Start with a simple test light. Start at the bulb socket and work your way back through the harness until you have power. It is a process of elimination.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Start with a simple test light. Start at the bulb socket and work your way back through the harness until you have power. It is a process of elimination.
Thank you. I will try that as soon as possible. I was thinking about circumventing the harness altogether and installing a simple on/off switch for the light without brights.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 PM

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.

Finally got around to fixing it today. To repeat, I checked all the fuses and changed the bulbs twice. However what ended up fixing it was going to the salvage yard and cutting out the connector to the bulb itself from a salvaged 93 Camry driver's side headlight. I then cut the two wires going to the headlight and attached the new headlight socket connector. IT WORKED! I suspected it may have been some corrosion in that connector-assembly but there was no way to really clean it that worked. Replacing it with a working socket worked.

So before you tear off the steering wheel thinking it may be the switch on the steering wheel, maybe try the other end of the wires.

Thanks Again!