ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

broken door won't open, how to remove the panel without opening the door

Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Default broken door won't open, how to remove the panel without opening the door

HELP! 95 camry front door won't open. Took it to 2 different mechanics who can't figure it out. Here's the details: The internal part of the handle is broken. Tried to get it open with the tool down the window, but it doesn't seem to be involving the lock. Does anyone know any tips on how I can remove the panel without opening the door? When the doors closed the panel screws are inaccessable. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Default RE: broken door won't open, how to remove the panel without opening the door

Don't think you can get the panel off without opening the door, in fact, I am sure of it.

There is probably a linkage disconnected to the door latch mechanism. Probably a small clip has come off and now you are stuck. A good locksmith might be able to go down through the window and open the door because he knows more than you or me about this kind of stuff.

You might be able to get to something by removing the little panel that covers the handle on the inside and looking at the door handle inside. First, if your 1995 is like my 1999, there may be a small square plug in the center of the cover plate around the handle. I pried this open with a small flatblade screwdriver from the end towards the rear of the car. There is a screw under that cover that needs to be removed first.

After the screw, the handle cover plate clips inward toward the door handle and the lock button. You've probably been prying down from the outside, when you actually want to pry outward from the inside. Insert a medium sized flat blade screw driver directly under the hinge point of the handle and press down while you pull out at the lower edge with your fingers. On mine, I also had to do this above the lock, directly above the handle hinge point.

Take a look at this link:
How to remove interior door panel
A lot of it is different from my 1999 Camry, but it had the critical bit I needed for mine. If you go to the second page, they show the cover plate for the handle and the electric door lock.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!! AJ