ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Camry committed suicide...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Default Camry committed suicide...

I was driving my 1999 V6 Camry and it literally just died. Just prior to it dying, the ABS warning light was flickering on and off and then nothing. I managed to get to the side of the road, but had to get towed.

I'm thinking alternator, but have virtually no real experience. Anyone have any other ideas and apx price to get it fixed??

Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

ABS light issue may not be connected to the problem.

Did the other dash lights come on typical of when engine an dies such as oil pressure, alternator, etc.

If alt issue the light should come on when engine running. If alt not fully dead then reduced battery voltage would cause engine problems such as dim lights, hesitation, etc.

If you have a voltmeter check battery voltage. 12.8v is about a full charge, If 12.4 - 12.2, battery has a low charge or dead.

Check fuses in fuse boxes engine compartment and behind the drivers side ash tray/coin box on lower far drivers side dash. The tray/box come out to expose a fuse box.

Sudden dieing could be a failed fuel pump. You can remove the lower seat cushion by prying it up from the front to expose the chassis and an sheet metal oval cover. Removing the cover exposed the top of fuel tank where the pump installs. The pump will run when the engine is cranked over to start it or running. You can listen for noise from the tank when engine cranking.

Another problem causing complete engine dying is a broken timing belt. This belt powers the camshafts. If possible determine when the belt was last changes. Belt life is 90000 miles if never changed or the car has 100,000 plus on the replacement the belt might have broke.

If you have a friend or neighbor handy with tools and some auto experience they can check a few items pretty quick.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks for these suggestions. I did just fill up my tank this morning and it overflowed, even though they're supposed to stop, it didn't. Gas attendant wasn't too happy. And I don't think the timing belt has been changed and the car has over 132,000 on it. No other lights on the dash lit up except the ABS. I unfortunately know no one here handy with cars, but a trusted friend recommended a shop, so I'm hoping they can tow it there and check it out. I'd like to be able to repair it and keep it running, but have my eyes on a 4Runner or Highlander so I won't be too heartbroken if there's too much wrong to fix. lol

Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

If filling tank before engine quit consider the following events have happened:

Wrong fuel is put into tank, diesel.

Diesel has been put into a station gas fuel tank by mistake and then pumped into car.

If ethanol blend, ethanol is not fully mixed prior putting into station tank and a large amount of ethanol was added to the car gas tank.

Station fuel has too much water or debris.

Given the miles check for broken timing belt. If OK, fuses OK, engine has spark, etc, check fuel.

The non-fuel hose shut off issue is most likely a station problem unless your tank has a hole in the filler pipe.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

Had AAA come out and they found the bracket holding the battery was very loose and was coming in contact with one of the battery terminals. After he tightened the bracket and jumped it, it started. He towed it to a shop and they replaced the battery terminal and something else (I couldn't hear what he said. Something about the carburetor.) Total was $28.52. Now, assuming that fixes everything, I'm very pleased.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. A cheap fix indeed.