ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

engine immobilizer issue, bad ignition tumblers....help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Default engine immobilizer issue, bad ignition tumblers....help!

ok....1999 xle (2.2)....

the tumblers in the ignition have finally had enough of the key....cant even get it in far enough to turn to ACC....nada.....

had towed to dealership and they are telling me that because of the chip/immobilizer its a 500 dollar repair to replace everything....and because the key wont go all the way in, they will have to replace some housing unit to be able to even get the tube out in the first place...final was $570.00

no way im paying that for a car with 193,000 miles.....

here's my thought/question....

can i just put in a new ignition key set, (new tumbler tube and new keys).....which is only $80 at any auto part supplier.....then just attach one of my transponder keys under the dash up against the accelerator ring/transponder reader???

my main concern is if that engine immobilizer system is somehow permanently attached to the ignition tumbler set....because it really sounds like an easy solution to the problem .....of course the dealership will have nothing to do with such an idea because they lose out on a TON of repair money...but ill just have it towed to a mechanic who will do it.....

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Might ask a locksmith or try the Toyotanation website.

The parts break down photo shows the transponder coil attached to the column upper bracket (unit that holds the cylinder) by 1 screw. It is shown as a separate part that goes around the tube of the housing. There is also a transponder key amplifier shown as a separate part (2 screws).

The issue is getting the old tumbler out. Your problem with a stuck tumbler is common enough you might start calling auto locksmiths. If you can get the tumbler to the ACC position you can remove it via a button on the side of the housing.

The other issue is programing the new key to the cars theft computer. As I recall you need to program the new key to the computer first by inserting the master key. The directions should be on the internet. If you don't have the master key typically you need a new computer. However there may now be internet services that can reprogram the computer to new key.

If you do have the master key the issue is you would have a new cylinder and key, but the old key would no longer work in the cylinder.

Just guessing! you could have another non-transponder key made to fit the new lock. Then follow the directions for programming the new key to the computer. When it is time to insert the old master key, insert the new key but hold the old key transponder section next to the transponder ring to fool the computer. Then follow up with the new key.

The computer does not know which key cylinder is installed or which key is used to turn it. It only knows the transponder on the key. I am not sure if you actually need to turn the lock with the master key, so check the internet.

You might also try having a new key made from the VIN number, using a lock lube, tapping on the key, wiggling the steering wheel.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM

ok...that makes sense.....any chance you can direct me to where i can find those diagrams online?

my service manager friend (who is 1200 miles away of course) was trying to explain that as well with regards to the amplifier ring....i just need some diagrams for the mechanic who is going to try to do this......

and to further complicate things, i cant get the tumbler to ACC so the pin will not release....need to figure out how to get it out....its COMPLETELY frozen....

Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

If you send a private message will email will send a file on the steering.

Before you start repairs highly suggest you do an in depth internet search on this problem. It happens enough there are numerous posts on the subject along with suggestions to try.

Some areas to explore are:

Spraying electronic contact cleaner, the can having a long plastic tube, into the lock. Then shake the key in the ign cylinder.

Drilling out the retaining pin that holds the cylinder into the barrel.

"Drilling out the cylinder," see link below:

Drilling out ignition switch... - Automotive | DSLReports Forums.

Make sure you don't apply too much rotational torque on the key or it will break off.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 AM

Is there a way to program a replacement ignition switch key for a 2007 Camry? I had the key blank cut but do not know how to program it. I can find information on the remote door but not the ignition key. The nearest dealer is over 70 miles one way from where I live.
-------------
locksmith nyc