ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Idle and driveability problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:43 AM
Exclamation Belt install

Originally Posted by toyomoho
There is no idle adjustment. The screw is to position the throttle plate opening and is factory set, suggest not adjusting it.

How did you set ign timing?
I didn't think there was an idle setting but I thought I should ask.

I may be using the wrong terminology for timing. When I installed the new timing belt, I matched the little round timing mark in the cam housing with the hole in the cam pulley. When I put a probe through the hole it was really close but not exact. It couldn't be more than an eighth degree off, if that much. The probe easily touched the round mark but didn't hit exactly in the middle. I tried redoing it with the idlers, belt, crank, cam, etc. at least six times and I couldn't get it to hit the mark exactly. Not knowing how sensitive that setting is, I've worried that the timing wasn't EXACT and the car isn't quite right on. I figured (rationalized) that a pro mechanic couldn't be spending hours redoing that belt setting half a dozen times either or he'd go broke so I put it back together and went with it.

BTW, the engine has started to run a little smoother at idle while in gear. I didn't do anything to make that happen.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Unhappy Resurrecting an old thread of mine

This car continues to amaze me. At anything past idle, it runs flawlessly. For a car with 271k miles, it's great. It's quiet, smooth and gets excellent gas mileage. It leaks oil pretty badly but doesn't appear to burn any out the tailpipe. I'm working on the oil leak as a separate issue.

But the rough idle problem persists and seems a little worse. It is worse when it is cold outside. Now that the weather is warmer, it isn't as rough but still not good. If you take the car out of Drive the idle smooths out to nearly normal. When searching online about idle concerns, the symptoms that include idle hunting, etc. don't really fit. Nevertheless it is annoying but the car is definitely worth fixing. When I went back over this thread, I think what was said about the EGR and other efforts to correct it are still valid. One thing I didn't include re: the IAC is it was new but not a Genuine Toyota part. I've been having more problems with parts that aren't factory on all my cars and this may be another example. I hate throwing parts at a problem but does anyone have a history of a non-factory IAC causing something like this?

Something else I've found out is this car does in fact have an idle RPM setting. It's near the intake manifold on the side of the engine and it changes the static setting of the throttle cable. I tried moving RPM up a little and it improved the roughness but you can't change it much without the car creeping forward.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Does this engine still have a distributor?

After aligning the cam hole with notch. did you rotate the engine two times CW and check the cam and crank marks again to make sure they were still correct?

EGR valve should be closed at idle.

You looking into the ETC sensor?

What was the idle speed before resetting cable? Did the idle speed pick up when the A/C compressor operated?

Any vacuum leaks?

Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 AM
Red face Questions answered

Does this engine still have a distributor? It has electronic ignition but still has the unit off the cam that looks like a distributor.

After aligning the cam hole with notch. did you rotate the engine two times CW and check the cam and crank marks again to make sure they were still correct? I did the belt a few years ago but my recollection is that it came out spot on after doing the two times cranking procedure. It also runs so well the rest the time that I struggle believing my timing is off.

EGR valve should be closed at idle. My memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I checked that when I did the major work a few years ago.

You looking into the ETC sensor? I'm not sure what that acronym means. I googled it and only found the ECT sensor which is for coolant.

What was the idle speed before resetting cable? Did the idle speed pick up when the A/C compressor operated? It was in the 750 range. It has always seemed to react to the A/C compressor going on but I'm not sure what RPM it goes to.

Any vacuum leaks? Again relying on work I did when I had major running issues a few years ago but there were no leaks then. This all was happening around the same time.
Per above ...

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-19-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

ETC = ECT.

What parts have been changed? Plugs, plug wires?

How is the MPG?

Your idle RPM is OK.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:23 AM
Red face More input

ETC = ECT.

What parts have been changed? Plugs, plug wires?

How is the MPG?

Your idle RPM is OK.
  1. Plugs and wires are not new but appear to be good.
  2. MPG has been good. The car is driven mostly locally with a little freeway. It gets around 26-28 MPG.
  3. Idle is around 800 RPM in gear.
A master mechanic friend who now lives in CA is here visiting his daughter's family. He did his various tests and feels the problem is motor mounts which are currently not Genuine Toyota. We are going to replace them with Genuine this week. Hopefully that solves the problem since the price tag was $490. Yikes!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

MPG and RPM are good.

Some mounts are better then others.

Post back with your results.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:02 AM
Wink Will do!

MPG and RPM are good.

Some mounts are better then others.

Post back with your results.
Not sure anything is better than Genuine Toyota for most every part on our cars. Maybe some consumables can be bought that are better (e.g. wiper blades). It comes down to cost and how long you own it. I've learned my lesson on that point. I like keeping cars for a long time. They become part of the family. It's also a fun challenge to keep it running. There's also the benefit of knowing a car well and how it works. I enjoy working on cars but I'm not really happy about redoing things that would have lasted longer if I used Genuine. The original mounts lasted nearly two hundred thousands miles. The Chinese parts? Not so much.

In many cases, that is a false economy. I've got some Scottish blood which means I'm frugal. But going back and re-fixing things is a waste.

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-30-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: More thoughts