ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

An interesting and frustrating electrical problem... HELP!!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Unhappy An interesting and frustrating electrical problem... HELP!!!!

OK Gang, I've got a VERY frustrating and costly problem here, and I hope to god someone here can help me solve it!! I'll tell you EVERYTHING I know about it.

First of all: 1999 Camry, 4 cyl.

I'm going to tell you guys EVERYTHING, even though I feel some of it may be irrelevant and coincidental, just in case I'm wrong and something is a clue to someone here that can help me solve this mystery.

About 2 months ago, I noticed a new light come on my dashboard... a little orange light in the bottom left corner. I referenced the user manual, and discovered that it was an indicator light meaning a rear bulb was out. Sure enough, I had a tail-light out.

I replaced the bulb, and 2 days later the light came on again. So I checked, and noticed another tail light out. I replaced it, but that warning light didn't go away, even though all of my rear-facing lights worked. I verified that all of my lights (tail, turn, stop, plate, and reverse) were working fine.

I didn't think much of it, until about 2 days later my after-market alarm system started behaving funny... It was a "Code Alarm" system that came with the car (I bought it used, the previous owner clearly had it installed). The alarm always sucked, but it generally did it's job.

Since the day I bought the car, the alarm system had issues, especially on very rainy nights. Sometimes it wouldn't unlock the doors, and I had to use the key (the unlock button worked fine, though). But it was rare, and it was never enough of a problem to be concerned, until recently.

After the lightbulb fiasco, I noticed that my alarm system was malfunctioning more and more frequently, until one day I went to turn the key and nothing happened. It felt like a dead battery... No electricity, very dim interior light, etc.

I had to play around with it, open and close the door a few times, turn the key on/off a few times, hit the valet switch a few times, and the car jumped right to life, no problem, no jump-start needed.

I assumed the alarm system had gone sour, so I just stopped using it. Things were fine for a couple of weeks like this, until my car started losing power while driving... At first, the lights would dim randomly and the radio would cut out on me (I know what some of you are thinking: Bad alternator... Be patient, I'm getting to that part!)

I assumed it was the alarm system getting worse and interfering with the electrical system, and knew I'd eventually have to take it out. So one day while driving, I activated my right turn signal and the car DIED completely. I had to pull over and do my open/close door key on/off thing a few times, before I got the car started again... but once I got it started, it was perfectly fine.

That night I completely removed the alarm system, and the car was fine.

The next day, the same problem started again. I did some research online, and found that randomly dimming lights and other similar problems was a tell-tale sign of a bad alternator. So I went to a junkyard (a reputable one) and got a new alt. and installed it.

Again, the car was fine, then it started DOING IT AGAIN.

I took my car to Autozone and had a code scan done, and it isn't throwing any codes at all. I tested the alt. and battery, and they're fine as a far as I can tell... (I did this when I replaced the alt.)

Whether or not this is relevant, I've noticed the following things:

When I'm driving over 60, ANY change in the lighting system kills my car, and I have to pull over and "reset" it again, by opening the door a few times, turning the key a few times.

If I turn on my lights, use a directional, or even tap the brakes, the car dies... but this only seems to happen when I'm driving for a long time, or if I go over 65 or something.

Other times, I can use all the lights/turn signals/heat/radio/etc. I want, and the car runs fine without so much as a glitch in the system...

Once something "triggers" the glitch, any little change in electricity gives me problems or kills the car... but until that glitch happens, everything is fine.

Another thing I noticed just today was while doing a "reset" I heard a rapid clicking sound coming from what seemed like was under the hood... I know enough about electronics to be able to safely say it sounded like a relay going nuts. Whether or not the relay IS the problem or the relay is just another SYMPTOM of the problem, I cannot tell.

So, I've removed the alarm system, replaced my alternator, and scanned for codes... NOTHING has changed.

Sometimes this even happens when the car isn't moving, just idling... It's the strangest thing and I can't seem to isolate the problem. The only clues I have are the ones I've already given you above.

Can someone help me??? Is this a voltage regulator? A bad wire? A bad relay?

I don't know... Going to the dealer is costly, and I've exhausted every other thing I can think of... I figured I'd throw this at you guys and see if anyone here would have an "Aha! This happened to me too" moment...

Please someone help me, I'm getting very desperate here...

Thank you in advance!!

~Brian

Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 AM

Problem solved... A friend of mine, who is a mechanic, suggested that I replace the battery terminal connectors. I did that, and so far (knock on wood) the problem seems to be gone. Who woulda thought??? I never would've dreamed that could cause this kind of problem. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Smile thank you

Gday Brian,

I do not know if you will get this but I just wanted to thank you.

I dive a 2002 Camry Wagon and I've had exactly the same problem for 6 months now.

I took it to two auto electricians and the problem was not found , had the alternator replaced , still same problem.

And I just replaced the battery connectors and all problems have gone away.
The lights are no longer dim when the blinker turns on and the car has not shut off at all.

So yea, thanks for that!

Jonathan,