ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Lamp Failure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

You may be able to push up on the wiring and move the terminals out of the socket. Clean with anything abrasive as fine sandpaper, nail file, etc. Just enough to expose shinny metal.

Alt is to use sand paper at the end of a mandrel to abrade the terminals inside th socket.

For the sides of the socket (ground)wrap sandpaper around a mandrel, insert into socket and rotate.

If the high mounted brake light is incandescent clean this to. It uses a differant type of bulb/socket. Carefully clean the bulb wires with sandpaper. Try cleaning the socket with by inserting a stripe of sandpaper.

If corrosion is a problem, after cleaning apply silicone electrical grease. Hardware stores should sell this.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by hakimr
Hello,

My lamp failure sensor warning went off last week and coupled with that my shift lock broke. When i went to an auto repair shop they fixed the shift lock but told me that the lamp box had failed due to a bad toyota wiring design (no recalls i checked) and he gave me an estimate of $2200 to fix this problem including $950 for the part itself. My current situation is that i am driving around with my rear brake lights not working (this is dangerous i know) but i dont have a 2nd car and there is nothing i can do for now as i cannot afford to pay $2200 to fix it.

Do you think the auto repair shop is charging me too much? What are my options? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-HR
2200 is way too much to charge. I have a 90' Camry (kinda old) but the same problem existed for me. And the Camry dealers who tell you that it is a faulty "light failure sensor" or "lamp failure sensor" box are correct. I had the light problem stuck on my dash for a while until i decided to handle the problem myself one day where i fooled around with the brake lights. I ended up having no brake lights at all, and i drove home with the hazards on.

The next day, me and my dad opened up the left side of the trunk (which can easily be done since the trunk is not screwed at all, just held with plastic push pins) and viewed the lamp sensor (a yellow box no larger than a pack of cigs, located right near the radio ant. on my car). When you open up the sensor you should see a little charred section where the moterboard has burnt out. On my box it was VERY small section that was burnt out, and only prevented one connection from happening. However, I guess this was enough to start problems. It is easy to solder back and make your own connection though (since the mother board looks like it is from the 80's and has very few connections). I soldered my own wire and stuck it back in the car and all my brake lights worked again and the light even dissappeared off my dash! For the price of $0 i felt like i had a brand new Camry (although some sweat had to be put into that).

But, it was definitley fixable for way under 2200. If anything you can get a new box from a salvage yard or auto wreckers for like 15 bucks which im going to do next, just incase my handywork comes un-done. I'm not sure about where the lamp is located in your generation car but im guessing its in the same place (upper left after taking off the carpeting of the left side of the trunk). The box should be clipped in, not screwed and its a little bit of a jiggle to get the box off since its a rather tight fit up there, but you should see it.

My suggestion is to take apart your car if u have 3 hrs or so of free time, and just solder that box back together - its an easy and cheap fix; just requires some man hours to do though. I probably should have taken a picture of mine just to show everyone what i'm talking about exactly.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM

My 2000 camry has the lamp failure sensor on only after pressing the brake predal while the engine is on. I replace almost every tail lights but still doesn't fix the problem. Went to Salvage yard and purchase two extra Lamp failure Sensor with exact part number and still problem not fixed. What could be the problem?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Default Lamp Failure

Originally Posted by kheng1
My 2000 camry has the lamp failure sensor on only after pressing the brake predal while the engine is on. I replace almost every tail lights but still doesn't fix the problem. Went to Salvage yard and purchase two extra Lamp failure Sensor with exact part number and still problem not fixed. What could be the problem?
I have a 97 LE with the lights out indicator on, but tail/brake lights are fine, so is the third brake light. I was looking at the trouble when I noticed that it only happened when the trunk lid was down/shut. When I opened the lid, the light would go out. That is when I noticed that the lights across the back of the trunk lid did not work after shutting. I took out the sensor, looked it over, but did not open it. After replacing it, the lights AND the reverse lights don't work at all, whether the lid is up or down. Has there been any problems with shorts in the wiring harness when transitioning onto the trunk lid?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM

It could be an actual socket of the tail light (the socket that has 2 metal connections which allows you to connect a light bulb in). Take a friend to press the brakes and the bulb that lights up the darkest / darker than the others will probably need a new socket

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chwigga89
It could be an actual socket of the tail light (the socket that has 2 metal connections which allows you to connect a light bulb in). Take a friend to press the brakes and the bulb that lights up the darkest / darker than the others will probably need a new socket
Yeah - The brake lights are working fine, my 13 year old helped me with that.

It's the actual lights mounted onto the trunk lid, including the reverse lights, that are not operating now. I am narrowing my focus to a short in the wires where the they transition onto the trunk lid.

1997 Camry's have the lights that go across the trunk like the one on the attached photo .... Thanks to whatever the website I copied this photo from. No infringements intended.

--- UPDATE ---
Found 2 cut wires within the cable harness leading onto the trunk lid.
Repaired and now all set.

Attached Thumbnails  Lamp Failure Sensor-9529541_3.jpg  

Last edited by pcushion141; 10-07-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Update status
Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Default rear bulbs and CORNER LIGHT the left and right

My car is 2000 Camry LE and i have problem with rear bulbs and CORNER LIGHT the left and right it does not turn on, the head light just Turn on. One of my friend said it could be the Lamp Failure, but that is very expensive. So can someone help with this problem?

Last edited by 2000camry@le; 10-09-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
TMF
Default Tail light proble, please help

I have a Camry 2000, encourter tail light problem.

First there was Lamp failure warning light on, Autozone guy thought it was a bulb problem. We changed the bulb, it does not work, the light was not on, and warning lights did not turned off.

Recently, I went to repair fuel sensor problem, the machenic tried to fix the lighting problem too, and "found" the wire (total 7 wires) in the trunk were "cut". He did not repair. We reconnected all 7 wires according to the wire color coding, the tail light was still not on. The turining lights and break lights were working.

I replaced new bulbs (tail lihgts), it still does not working, checked fuse, it is ok. Please advise me what is the next step to check and what is the possible cause for the problem?

TMF

Old 12-22-2022, 11:06 AM

Hi , i don’t know how to actually make a post on here but i have a 98 camry with the rear brake lights warning light on not sure why all rear bulbs were replaced but i noticed my third brake light has a different cover from what it should so the light can be seen when i brake on further inspection there is a light bulb on there just isn’t connected to anything, what can it be the warning light for then?

Old 12-22-2022, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

The center light is not connected to the brake light warning system.

Check the bulb sockets for corrosion and clean them.