ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Malfunction Indicator Light

Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Default Malfunction Indicator Light

My Camry 98 Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) came on today. Gas cap was on tight. Two days ago the driver side power window would not work, but after a few hrs it did come back. Are these 2 issues related? Owner's manual says MIL can be either gas problem or electrical problem...

Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM

They are not related. Worn window motors tend to fail once the motor heats up. Try raising and lowering your window repeatedly and see if its fails. Once it stops- it will start to work again once the limiter resets itself over a few minutes. YOu'll need to replace the window motor.

As far the the "check engine light". This is only related to failures that will affect emissions. With that, it could be due to many many reasons. You'lll need a scan tool to see what code was detected. 4 cylinders tent to have AF ratio sensor failures, and EGR low flow codes. Good luck!

JJ

Old 07-18-2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the answer. Is there any problem using the car with the MIL on? Can something damage the engine? I was planning to get a new fuel cap and wait to see if it resets itself.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 AM

It completely depends on what the light is on for. Since you don't know why the light is on- you're better off getting it looked at sooner than later just to be on the safe side.

JJ

Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 AM

I took the car to Autozone to have a test done and it appears that it is the heat Oxygen sensor (P0155). Can I use the car or should I have it fixed immediately?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 AM

If you have a V6- P0155 indicates you have a failed Bank2 sensor 1 failure. This can be replaced by a DIY'er but you'll need to purchase an 02 sensor socket. Autozone should sell them for less than $10. The particular 02 sensor you need to replace is completely accessable in the front of the engine. Once you replace the sensor- disconnect your battery for 1 minute to erase the code and you should be fine from there.

JJ

Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM

JJ,

Many thanks for all your help. Is there a picture somewhere and more detailed instructions on how to replace the sensor? Is Bank 2 located in the exhaust manifold closest to the front of the car? Should I get the sensor (and socket) at Autozone or is it better to get the sensor at the Toyota dealer? By the way, my car is actually a 98 Sienna with a V6 engine...

Last edited by ecelis; 07-21-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ecelis
JJ,

Many thanks for all your help. Is there a picture somewhere and more detailed instructions on how to replace the sensor? Is Bank 2 located in the exhaust manifold closest to the front of the car? Should I get the sensor (and socket) at Autozone or is it better to get the sensor at the Toyota dealer? By the way, my car is actually a 98 Sienna with a V6 engine...
I'd recommend you use a factory O2 sensor straight from the dealer. You can get your socket from where ever you get the best deal. On all Toyota transverse mounted engines- bank 2 is in the front- so the procedure with the Sienna would be similar to a Camry. Simply unplug the sensor, install the socket, and break it loose. Upon reinstallation- tighten it down enough to completely crush the washer and no more- plug in the sensor and disconnect your battery to erase the code.

JJ