ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

My 2002 toyota camry will turn over but stalls and shuts off after a few seconds....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Default My 2002 toyota camry will turn over but stalls and shuts off after a few seconds....

I was driving last night going about 80 km/h on cruise control.. i noticed my RPMs start to fluctuate. I felt the car shutter a bit (almost as if the engine hadnt warmed up enough and I started accelerating and let go of the gas while accelerating) so i pulled over onto the shoulder. I slowed right down and the RPMs continued to fluctuate so i put it into park. It then slowly went right down into the RPMs and then shut off. After this the engine will turn over but not stay on. The RPMs continue to go down and the engine shuts off after a few seconds. The check engine light comes on as well as the battery and check oil. Please any help would be appreciated or if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thank you!
Mandy

Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Are the check engine, check oil and battery lights on when the engine is running? It would be common for them to come on if the engine is off and the ign key is on.

The engine computers has its own diagnostic system called OBDII which is standard for all US cars made after 1996.

Find someone who can read any stored trouble codes out using a code reader. Knowing the codes can aid and finding the problem area.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM

maybe its on the battery, it might run off power.