ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Starter Relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Default Starter Relay

Hello from prince George County, VA. Can anyone assist in my efforts to locate the starter relay on my 93 Camry, 4 cylinder? I have done multiple on-line searches and checked the car but no luck. I have looked:
  1. Behind the drivers side kick panel.
  2. In both relay fuse boxes under the hood on the divers side. The schematics in the boxes do not identify any of the relays as a starter relay. There is a 10 amp starter fuse there. That's it
  3. Passenger side -under hood, fender well. Nothing there.
I saw something else online that said it was behind the glove box. I have not checked there.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

1SG, Army, Retired

Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF, 1SG.

Relay box, engine compartment, left side. The box having one side that is diagonal.

Looking down on components inside box with diagonal side of box oriented at your left hand and normal side at your right, starter relay is located in the lower left corner.

Above this relay is the EFI relay which should have the same design.

To the right of the starter relay is the horn relay which is smaller in size.

The corners on the right hand side of the box also have relays but there are a couple of large fuses between these two relays.

The fuel pump relay is behind the glove box.

Post back if the above does not do the job.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Default 93 Camry Starter Relay

Joey,

Thank you for your detailed response. I looked that box yesterday but I could not find a relay labeled Starter Relay. I have attached a pic. The box has a schematic on the inside of the cover. Per the schematic, the relay in the lower left side is Fan No 1 which is square.The EFI relay is round in design. and directly above Fan # 1 There is nothing in this relay box marked Horn Relay. There is a 10 amp blade fuse marked starter Thanks again for all your help

Attached Thumbnails Starter Relay-relay-pic-2.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Can only speculate on location.

Since this box has fan relay perhaps the starter relay is in another engine compartment plastic box where the fan relay was on other years. These boxes would be obvious along the side of the chassis

Color of relay varies but for this year seem to be blue however has seen orange. It should have an electrical terminal marking pattern top of the relay with showing terminals numbers 1 to 4. or 1,2,3,5. Should have the shape as the relay in the link below.

93 94 95 96 TOYOTA CAMRY LEXUS T100 T-100 STARTER FUSE RELAY 3#E-36 on eBay!

Other places to check are the behind the drivers side kick panel and behind the drivers side ash tray.

The kick panel is vertical plastic cover under the dash between it and the floor. When sitting in the drivers seat if your move your left foot to the left it will hit the panel. In early years this is where the relay was.

There is both a relay box and fuse box in the area behind the ash tray but the starter relay is not know for be placed here. Neither is it known to be behind the glove box or behind the passengers side kick panel which also has a few relays.

To confirm the right relay the wiring for relay terminals is below:
5 = starter solenoid.
3 = hot
2 = ground
1 = from ign switch

or
4 = starter solenoid
3 = ground
2 = hot
1 = ign switch

Take note the relay solenoid circuit has lockout switches for the clutch and Park/Neutral switch.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 AM

Thank you again for the detailed response. I plan to dig into again tonight. This is a great forum!.