ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Where is the Starter Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Where is the Starter Fuse

94 Camry, 2.2l

Recently replaced starter after car would not start. (Tested bad at the auto parts store). Also replaced the relay.

Car is still refusing to start - no clicking at the solenoid or relay etc. Battery is strong, car is in park, lights dim/radio cuts off when the key is turned but nothing.

I would like to check the starter fuse, Hanes manual indicates there should be a 10A somewhere, but I cannot find it. There was nothing in the two fuse/relay panels under the hood, or the fuse panel by the steering wheel. Does this year range even have one? Does it just have some weird abbreviation I would have overlooked? I am losing my mind!

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Look behind left side kick panel below the turn signal flasher. Might be marked "ST".

When the ign key is turned to start, use a voltmeter to check for battery voltage at the small wire connected to the starter solenoid. If voltage OK the starter fuse and relay are working OK. If not the issue is someplace on this circuit. Keep in mind there is a park/neutral switch that prevents the starter relay from energizing if the trans is not in neutral or park or the clutch is pressed.

The starter solenoid powering the starter receives power directly from the battery. There is a separate cable for the cars electrical system. As such check the large power cables, their terminals, the chassis ground for the negative battery cable, the cable between the engine and chassis.

If you have battery cables apply power directly to the starter motor. If it operates OK reconnect it to the battery cable terminal at the solenoid and apply power to the small terminal on the solenoid. If OK the issue these items are working OK.

It is not uncommon if the starter assy purchased was a "rebuilt" unit to receive a bad one out of the box thus suggest testing the starter using the jumper cable method.

Last edited by toyomoho; 03-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks a lot, situation resolved.